These crispy smashed potatoes are a must-try, crispy from the outside and tender from the inside roasted crispy smashed potatoes become our family favorite potato side dish ever!
These disappear so fast so you’ll have to keep an eye on them!
Watch our video for how to make roasted crispy smashed potatoes:
If you enjoyed this video version of this recipe, please subscribe to OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
what are smashed potatoes?
Smashed potatoes are small potatoes that been simmered until soft inside, then smashed with a cup or a potato masher, then, drizzled with the butter, rosemary, and garlic butter and cooked until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Serve them as a side dish next to your favorite protein.
What you’ll need for this recipe:
Small/ medium potatoes– for this recipe, we like to use mini Yukon Gold potato or mini red potatoes but any potato kind will work great for this recipe.
Olive oil- use extra virgin olive oil.
Fresh garlic– we like to use fresh garlic for this recipe.
Spices– we used kosher salt, paprika, garlic powder, dry parsley, onion powder, and chili flakes.
How to make smashed potatoes:
1. bring a pot of water to a boil, and add a tbsp of salt.
2. add the potatoes into the boiling water and cook for about 30 minutes until tender.
3. Drain the water and dry the potatoes. Preheat an oven to 230c (450f).
4. Make the spice mixture: In a small mixing bowl add the olive oil, kosher salt, paprika, garlic powder, dry parsley, onion powder, and chili flakes.
5. Mix well with a whisk until well combined.
6. In a big mixing bowl add the cooked potatoes, and the spice mixture. Mix well until the potatoes are coated with the mixture.
7. on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, smash each potato with a cup or a potato smasher gently.
8. Brush the remaining spice mixture on the potatoes.
9. bake the potatoes at 230c (450f) for 20 minutes. Flip the potatoes halfway through. Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy from the outside.
Frequently asked questions:
How long will these crispy smashed potatoes last?
These smashed potatoes last up to 5 days in an airtight container placed in the fridge.
Can I prepare them in advance?
Yes, you can boil the potatoes and place them in the fridge, then when ready to bake, follow the same steps of making the spices mixture and baking them.
How long to bake these crispy smashed potatoes?
Bake these smashed potatoes at 230c (450f) for 20-25 minutes, flip them, and cook for another 15 minutes.
Can I freeze these crispy smashed potatoes?
Yes, you can freeze these smashed potatoes after they cooled completely. Place them in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months.
How to serve crispy smashed potatoes?
The best way to serve these smashed potatoes is as a side dish next to your favorite protein. You can also serve it as a snack, or as an appetizer.
Tips for perfect crispy smashed potatoes:
Use small potatoes-
Choose smaller potatoes rather than large, these guaranteed you to have a crispy exterior. Any potatoes will work for this recipe though.
Use a large baking sheet-
To get the perfect crispy from the outside and creamy from the inside, we suggest you use a large baking sheet that keeps the potatoes apart from each other and let each one cook perfectly.
For more potato side dishes:
Garlic and rosemary Smashed potatoes – These smashed potatoes are a must-try, made with only 5 ingredients that can be found in any kitchen! These are going to change your potato game entirely.
Creamy Mashed Potatoes – This creamy mashed potato recipe is incredibly delicious. Made with only 5 ingredients, you get a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas!
Parmesan Crusted Potatoes – These parmesan crusted potatoes are addictive, with a crispy exterior and a creamy interior they are hard to resist.
Scalloped potatoes– Thinly sliced potatoes are layered in an easy cream sauce, topped with cheese, and baked to perfection.
Home Fries with Sweet Chili Sauce- This homemade home fries recipe is not a basic home fries dish, these home fries are baked in the oven and thrown in a delicious chili and butter sauce.