These date roll cookies are my favorite cookies of all time! These are made with buttery shortcrust pastry, filled with date paste, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts, topped with powder sugar that makes these cookies irresistible. These cookies are addictive and melt in your mouth delicious.
If you don’t like dates, you can replace the filling with Nutella or with your favorite chocolate spread, they taste amazing both ways! My mom made these cookies since I was a little kid, these cookies always disappeared in a day, too irresistible.
To learn how to make date spread or date paste, check out my recipe and click here.
Watch our video for how to make date roll cookies:
If you enjoyed this video version of this recipe, please subscribe to OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
What you will need for this recipe:
Flour- we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, cake flour can work as well.
Baking powder- to help the cookies rise a bit.
Powder sugar- use powder sugar for the dough.
Vanilla extract- for flavor.
Orange juice- fresh orange juice is the secret ingredient to make the butter dough so flavorful and delicious. If you don’t have fresh oranges, you can use store-bought orange juice and it should work great as well.
Butter- use room temperature butter.
Vegetable oil- we used vegetables for this recipe, but canola oil can work great as well.
Egg yolk- you will need one egg yolk. Preferably at room temperature.
How to make date roll cookies?
1. Start by adding the dry ingredient to a large mixing bowl. (you can do this process in a food processor as well)
2. Add the flour, baking powder, powder sugar, salt, and mix with a whisk.
3. Add the vanilla extract, orange juice, and the egg yolk, soften butter, vegetable oil, and mix with a wooden spoon or with your hands until you get a smooth dough texture.
4. Form the dough into a ball and place it in a medium-size bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough rest in the fridge for at least an hour.
5. Preheat an oven to 170c (340f) and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Remove the bowl from the fridge and place the dough on a clean lightly floured surface.
7. Divide the dough into 3 even pieces. Let the other pieces rest in the fridge until you make the dough roll.
8. Start rolling the dough with a wooden rolling pin into a rectangle shape, cutting the edges if needed. Spread an even layer of the date paste on top of the dough.
9. Sprinkle the cinnamon on top and chopped walnuts.
10. Gently roll out the dough as you would do with a cinnamon roll. Transfer the dough roll onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
11. Cut the roll into even 1-inch thick slices. Bake the cookies in a preheated 170c (350f) oven for 25-30 minutes.
12. Take the cookies out of the oven and cool for 30 minutes, then sprinkle powder sugar on top and serve.
Frequently asked questions:
How long to bake date roll cookies?
Bake the date roll cookies in a preheated oven according to the instructions, bake these cookies until the tops are crispy and golden brown.
What do these date roll cookies taste like?
Date cookie rolls taste like melt in your mouth butter cookies that are filled with date spread that fits perfectly, then you taste the cinnamon and the chopped walnuts, and everything melts in your mouth to perfection.
Can I make the date roll cookies vegan?
You can try, I never tried to make this recipe vegan. Simply replace the butter with vegan butter and replace the egg yolk with 1 tbsp of flax egg pudding.
How to store these date roll cookies?
Store these date roll cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
How long will these date roll cookies last?
These cookies will last for up to a week stored in an airtight container at room temperature, or in the freezer placed in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 2 months.
Can I freeze these date roll cookies?
Yes. There are two ways to freeze these cookies, first way is preparing the cookies according to the instructions, before baking, freeze them in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months, when ready to bake, place the cookies on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven according to the instructions.
The second way you can freeze these cookies, is by baking them according to the instructions, let the cookies cool completely, and freeze them in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 2 months. When ready to use, heat in a preheated oven for 5 minutes, or defrost them overnight in the fridge.
Tips to perfect this recipe:
- Don’t overbake these cookies.
- Chill for half an hour before eating.
- Add toppings like chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, nuts.
- Don’t overmix the cookie batter.
- Add less sugar for less sweet cookies.
More cookies recipes:
Nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies– These Nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies are just perfect, crispy from the outside, gooey, and chocolaty from the inside. These cookies are perfect for any occasion, parties, holidays, friends get together, or to just eat them by yourself.
3 ingredient peanut butter cookies- This 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies recipe is amazing. With only 3 ingredients you get delicious and soft peanut butter cookies. These cookies have a rich peanut butter flavor that satisfies in the easiest and fastest way.
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies- These cookies are known to be perfect Christmas cookies, but we like to make it all year through! These cookies have a brownie texture on the inside that makes everyone go WOW!
If you liked this homemade almond butter recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!