This creamy mashed potato recipe is incredibly delicious. Made with only 5 ingredients, you get a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas!
Mashed potatoes are easy and quick to put together, perfect for any occasion, this creamy mashed potato recipe is a family favorite for years, and it never gets old.
Watch our video for how to make mashed potatoes:
If you enjoyed this video version of this recipe, please subscribe to OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
What you will need for this recipe:
Potatoes– for this recipe, we like to use Yukon Gold potato, but any potato kind will work great for this recipe!
Butter– for this recipe, we use room temperature butter. We suggest using unsalted butter, so you have full control over how salty your mashed potatoes.
Milk– hot milk incorporates easiest into the potatoes.
Kosher salt– use kosher salt in this recipe.
Kosher salt for the water– adds an extra flavor for the potatoes.
how to make mashed potatoes:
1. Peel your potatoes a few hours before making them, then keep them in cold water to prevent them from browning.
2. Boil the potatoes with 1 tbsp of kosher salt. Cover and cook until tender.
3. Drain the water and place the potatoes in a stand mixer or a big mixing bowl (if you’re using a hand mixer).
4. Grab the whisk attachment and mix on low speed for 2 minutes.
5. Increase to medium speed and add the hot milk.
6. On low speed, gradually add the room temperature butter (tbsp at a time).
7. Add salt and increase the speed to medium, whip until the potatoes are super smooth.
8. Serve warm next to your favorite protein. Top with chives or fresh parsley.
More potatoes recipes:
Smashed potatoes – These smashed potatoes are a must-try crispy from the outside and creamy from the inside roasted smashed potatoes
Parmesan Crusted Potatoes – These parmesan crusted potatoes are addictive, with a crispy exterior and a creamy interior they are hard to resist.
Scalloped potatoes recipe – Our favorite cheesy, creamy, and delicious scalloped potatoes recipe.
Frequently asked questions:
How long will the mashed potatoes last?
The mashed potatoes will last up to a week stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
Can I freeze the mashed potatoes?
Yes, let the mashed potatoes cool to room temperature,, then place them in the freezer stored in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 2 months.
When ready to use, place the mashed potatoes in the fridge overnight to defrost, or thaw it at room temperature for a few hours. Reheat in the microwave.
How to serve mashed potatoes?
Serve mashed potatoes next to your favorite protein.
Serve mashed potatoes as a side dish in a holiday dinner like Thanksgiving or Christmas. Serve it as a side dish at a barbecue.
Can I make this recipe vegan?
Yes, replace the milk with vegan milk of your choice, we prefer almond milk. Replace the butter with vegan butter like plant butter.
Can I use red potatoes?
Yes, this recipe will work great with most kinds of potatoes.
Can I add black pepper or other seasonings?
Yes, add any of your favorites seasonings.
Tips to perfect this mashed potato recipe:
- Season the boiling water with salt, to give the potatoes extra flavor.
- Peel your potatoes a few hours before making it, then keep them in cold water to prevent them from browning.
- Use a stand mixer to make your mashed potatoes extremely creamy! If you don’t have a stand mixer, use a hand mixer, it works great as well.
- Use room temperature butter allows the butter to melt faster.
- Use hot milk, it incorporates easiest into the potatoes.