This homemade falafel recipe is our family’s secret to making the best falafel we’ve ever had!
Falafel is a very popular middle eastern dish, made with chickpeas, fresh herbs, and spices, gets you a delicious crispy on the outside and tender on the inside delicious dish.
After a lot of recipe testing, my father made this recipe that became our family and friend’s favorite!
Here’s our video for how to make homemade falafel:
If you enjoyed this video version of this recipe, please subscribe to OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
What you’ll need for this recipe:
Dried chickpeas– for the best falafel, soak dried chickpeas in water overnight.
White onions– gives the falafel a great taste.
Fresh herbs– we find the best flavors that complement this recipe is parsley and cilantro. Using a lot of fresh herbs is the secret to get the most flavorful falafels, plus it gives the inside of the falafels a beautiful green color.
Garlic– garlic adds a delicious flavor to the falafels.
Spices– we use salt, black pepper, and cumin.
Baking soda– gives the falafels a nice structure.
Canola oil– you can use vegetable oil or olive oil for this recipe.
How to make homemade falafels?
1. Soak the dried chickpeas- in a large bowl add the dried chickpeas and cover with water (see in the video)
Soak them overnight before making the falafels.
2. Drain the water and add the chickpeas into a food processor.
3. Add onion, garlic, parsley, and cilantro.
4. Start pulsing a little bit at a time until the mixture is finely ground.
5. Transfer the mixture into a big bowl and add salt, pepper, cumin, and baking soda and mix well.
6. Let the mixture rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
7. Shape into balls with an ice cream scooper or a spoon.
8. Heat the oil on medium-high heat until it bubbles softly.
9. Carefully drop the falafel balls into the hot oil and fry for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. (fry in small batches)
10. Repeat with the rest of the mixture and cool for 1-2 minutes
11. Serve in pita bread with a light salad and tahini sauce.
For the tahini sauce:
Mix raw tahini with water, lemon and garlic and serve with the falafels.
For the chopped salad:
Chop tomato, cucumber, and onion and serve in a pita with the falafels and tahini sauce.
How to serve falafel?
Our favorite way, which is also the traditional way to serve falafels is inside a fluffy pita bread (check out our recipe for pita bread), with a simple salad and tahini sauce.
The combination of all of these flavors gives you the best falafel experience.
Other ways you can serve falafels:
-in a wrap
-by itself (dipped in tahini sauce)
-in a falafel bowl (served with a side dish like rice or orzo, with fresh chopped veggies and topped with tahini sauce)
-falafel salad: falafel is a great addition to your favorite salad!
Can I freeze falafel?
Yes, you can freeze the falafels in an airtight freezer-friendly container up to 3 months.
We suggest making a big batch of falafel mixture and freeze the amount that you didn’t use, then when you feel like having fresh falafel, take it out of the freezer and defrost it, then fry it according to the instructions, you’ll never notice it was in the freezer, taste amazing every time.
What can I serve with falafel besides pita?
You can serve falafel with any side dish you want, next to brown rice, with quinoa, next to baked veggies, chopped veggies, etc.
How long the homemade falafel keep while fried?
The homemade falafels keep up to 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can I bake the falafels?
Yes, bake the falafels in a preheated oven (180c/350f) on a greased baking sheet, flipping once halfway through baking.
To get the perfect falafels (taste and texture), do not use canned chickpeas! Use dried chickpeas that have been soaked in water overnight to achieve the best falafels.