This lemon blueberry cake is one of my favorite desserts to make, its super quick to whip up, and made with lemon zest and blueberries that give this cake an amazing flavor.
This easy lemon blueberry cake is going to be your new favorite easy cake! This cake is fluffy, light, airy, moist, soft, and delicious. This lemon blueberry cake contains only a few simple ingredients to make and takes under 20 minutes to prep.
Watch our video for how to make the lemon blueberry cake:
If you enjoyed this video version of this recipe, please subscribe to OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Ingredients for lemon blueberry cake:
Before you start to make this recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Baking powder– to allow the cake to rise.
Vegetable oil – we used vegetable oil for this recipe. canola oil will work great for this recipe.
Lemon zest- you will need 1 tbsp of fresh lemon zest for this recipe.
Greek yogurt- get your Greek yogurt to room temperature. Any percent of fat will work for this recipe.
Vanilla extract- adds extra flavor.
Sugar- we used granulated sugar for this recipe. You can use caster sugar as well.
Eggs- you will need 2 large eggs for this recipe. Make sure that your eggs are at room temperature.
Kosher salt- you will need about 1/4 tsp of kosher salt for this recipe.
Blueberries- We used fresh blueberries for this recipe, but frozen blueberries work great in this cake. Do not thaw the frozen blueberries, simply follow the same instructions as the fresh blueberries.
Cornstarch- For the blueberries mixture.
This easy lemon blueberry cake is:
- Extremely easy to make.
- Melt in your mouth delicious.
- Made with simple ingredients.
- Perfect to make when you need a quick dessert.
- The perfect size for family gatherings.
How to make lemon blueberry cake:
Preheat the oven to 180c (350f) and prep a parchment paper-lined 8-inch cake pan.
Into a big bowl or a stand mixer bowl, add the eggs and the sugar, and whip until the mixture is light and fluffy.
Add the vegetable oil, vanilla extract, greek yogurt, and lemon zest, and mix at low speed until the mixture is just combined.
Add the baking powder, salt, and sift the flour. Fold the batter until the mixture is just combined, and you don’t see any flour pockets. you do not want to overmix the batter. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed.
Add the blueberries into a medium-sized mixing bowl, and add the cornstarch. Mix with a spoon until the blueberries are evenly covered with cornstarch and your cant see the cornstarch.
Pour the cake batter into the cake pan and top it with the blueberries. Fold the mixture to mix the blueberries into the mixture (didn’t show in the video but still necessary), and top with more blueberries.
Bake the cake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 45-50 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove it from the pan and top it with lots of powder sugar.
Frequently asked questions:
Can I use frozen blueberries in this recipe?
Yes! Frozen blueberries work great in this cake. Do not thaw the frozen blueberries, simply follow the same instructions as the fresh blueberries.
How do I store this lemon blueberry cake?
It’s okay to store this cake at room temperature. Make sure that you store this cake in an airtight container so it won’t dry out.
Can I make this lemon blueberry cake gluten-free?
Yes! Simply replace the flour with gluten-free flour, and make sure that you are using gluten-free ingredients.
How long will this lemon blueberry cake last?
This cake will last up to 4 days at room temperature or up to one week in the fridge. Cover the cake with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out.
What flour do you use for this cake?
We use all-purpose flour for this cake. Self-rising flour and cake flour will work great as well.
How to serve this cake?
Serve this cake next to a cup of coffee or tea. We like adding lots of powder sugar on top but this cake tastes amazing by itself!
Can I freeze this cake?
Yes! This cake is very easy to freeze. After baking, let the cake cool to room temperature, transfer it into a freezer-friendly Ziploc bag, or wrap it tightly with a plastic wrap. Freeze up to 2 months.
To thaw: place the cake in the refrigerator overnight or place it at room temperature for a few hours.
Tips to master this recipe:
- Use room temperature ingredients. It is important that you use room-temperature ingredients like eggs and yogurt. This step ensures that your mixture mixes into a homogenous mixture and bakes perfectly. you don’t want to place cold batter into the oven.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have moist cake and not dense and dry cake.
- Mesure you flour correctly! When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour with a spoon to create as many air pockets as possible, and spoon it into your measuring cup. Finally, level it with a back of a knife.
- Add some of your favorite add-ins! Make this recipe your own and add your favorite muffins add-ins: chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, chocolate chunks, banana slices, chopped fruit, and more! Be creative!
- Be patient! I know it’s extremely tempting to eat this cake as it is pulled out of the oven, but let it cool for at least 15 minutes so it will be more firm and won’t crumble up. This cake is extra moist and melt in your mouth delicious, so it will be worth it to wait these 20 minutes.
More easy cake recipes:
Easy apple cake- This cake is fluffy, light, airy, moist, soft, and delicious. This apple cake contains only a few simple ingredients to make and takes under 20 minutes to prep.
No-bake eclair cake- This recipe is made by layering tea biscuits or graham crackers and creamy vanilla pudding, topped with a delicious silky chocolate ganache.
Moist honey cake- This honey cake is moist, rich in flavor, full of spices that will make your house smell like autumn. This honey cake is definitely a family favorite.
Apple upside-down cake- This apple upside-down cake features an incredibly moist cake that is loaded with cinnamon and nutmeg, topped with a caramelized apple topping.
If you tried this lemon blueberry cake recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this lemon blueberry cake recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!