Pita bread is one of our favorite breads to bake, making your own homemade pita bread is easy, inexpensive, simple, and delicious.
Whether you're making falafel or hummus, pita bread is one of the best ways to enjoy sandwiches. This recipe makes you soft, fluffy, and flavorful pita bread that goes with anything, grilled cheese, sloppy joes, kebab, falafel, salads, shakshuka etc..
If you enjoyed this video version of this recipe, please subscribe to OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Flour- we use all-purpose flour for this recipe. Bread flour will work well.
Active dry yeast- active dry yeast works best for this recipe.
Granulated sugar- granulated sugar works best for this recipe, caster sugar can work as well.
Kosher salt- works best for this recipe.
Water- use room temperature water.
Our favorite part about this recipe is that it takes only 5 ingredients to make this amazing fluffy pita bread.
1. In a big mixing bowl, sift the flour.
2. Add-in the dry yeast, and sugar and mix well.
3. Add the salt and mix, then add the water.
4. Mix for about 8 minutes until you get a soft dough.
5. Let the dough rise and cover with a towel for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
6. Punch down the risen dough and transfer the dough onto a floured surface.
7. Stretch the dough into a log, and divide it into 10-12 equal pieces.8. Shape each piece into a ball. Cover with a towel for 30 minutes. 9. Preheat an oven to its highest temperature.
10. Sprinkle a small amount of flour on a work surface and roll each piece into a circle using a floured rolling pin.
11. Bake in a preheated oven with a baking sheet for 3-5 minutes or until bread begins to puff up and the bottom has brown spots.
The pita bread will last for about 5 to 7 days at normal room temperature, stored in an airtight container. Or freeze up to 3 months.
Yes, after baking the pita bread, let them cool completely and freeze it in an airtight container for up to 3 months. When ready to use, defrost at room temperature for 30 minutes and reheat in a toaster oven for 2-3 minutes.
There are many options to enjoy pita bread. Some people like to serve it as is with homemade hummus, some like to enjoy it with fresh homemade falafel (link), some like to enjoy it as a sandwich with salads, eggs, kebabs, or even chocolate spread!
This recipe makes about 10-12 pita breads, depends on the size. You can make them smaller or bigger.
Yes. Follow the instructions and when ready to bake, preheat a pan to high heat and cook it until it's risen and fluffy.