This is the best pumpkin muffins recipe ever. I’m not exaggerating. These pumpkin muffins stay moist for days, and they have the best balance of flavors and sweetness. I can’t wait for you to try these.
These pumpkin muffins are most enjoyable on a gloomy fall day served next to a cup of hot chocolate, hot coffee, or hot tea. They are tender, soft, and extremely moist thanks to the pumpkin puree.
Fresh pumpkin or canned pumpkin in pumpkin muffins?
We like making our pumpkin muffins with fresh pumpkin puree, but this is a personal preference. Using fresh pumpkin puree makes these muffins extremely tender and moist. Usually, fresh pumpkin puree contains more liquids which make these muffins extra moist and melt in your mouth delicious. However, canned pumpkin puree will give you pretty much the same result.
Watch our video for how to make pumpkin muffins:
If you enjoyed this video version of this recipe, please subscribe to OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
These pumpkin muffins are:
- Extremely easy to make.
- Extra moist muffins that stay moist for 4 days!
- Made with simple ingredients.
- Perfect to make when you need a fall-themed dessert.
- Has a light pumpkin flavor and is filled with fall spices.
- Made in under an hour from start to finish.
- The perfect dessert for Thanksgiving, fall, and winter.
Pumpkin muffins ingredients:
For the pumpkin cupcakes:
Pumpkin puree- we like making our own pumpkin puree from fresh pumpkins. You can use either canned pumpkin puree or homemade pumpkin puree, make sure that you strain the extra liquids from your fresh pumpkins. You will need 1 cup of pumpkin puree.
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Baking powder and baking soda – to allow the muffins to rise.
Vegetable oil – we used vegetable oil for this recipe. canola oil will work great for this recipe.
Sugar- we used granulated sugar for this recipe. You can use caster sugar as well.
Brown sugar- adds a caramelly flavor to the muffins.
Cinnamon- we love adding cinnamon to pumpkin-flavored desserts, it adds so much flavor that compliments the pumpkin flavor.
Ginger- use ground ginger for this recipe. You can add any of your favorite fall spices like cloves, allspice, and pumpkin spice.
Nutmeg- use either ground nutmeg or fresh nutmeg in this recipe.
Eggs- you will need 2 large eggs for this recipe. Make sure that you use room-temperature eggs in this recipe.
Vanilla extract- adds extra flavor.
Kosher salt- you will need about 1/2 tsp of kosher salt for this recipe.
Milk- use whole milk in this recipe. you will need 1/4 a cup.
Tools to make this recipe:
Mixing bowls- best glass mixing bowls.
Whisk set- our favorite copper whisk set.
Cupcakes tins- our favorite Wilton cupcake tins.
How to make pumpkin cupcakes:
1. Preheat an oven to 180c (350f) and prep a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Into a big mixing bowl, add the oil, eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree. mix with a whisk until combined.
3. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and kosher salt and mix until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter!
4. Pour the batter into the muffin tins and bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the muffins cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Tips for this recipe:
- Use room temperature ingredients. It is important that you use room-temperature ingredients like eggs and milk. This step ensures that your mixture mixes into a homogenous mixture and bakes perfectly. you don’t want to place cold batter into the oven.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have moist muffins and not dense and dry muffins
- Mesure you flour correctly! When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour with a spoon to create as many air pockets as possible, and spoon it into your measuring cup. Finally, level it with a back of a knife.
- Use pure pumpkin puree in this recipe! It is very important that you use pure pumpkin puree in this recipe. Make sure that you are not using the presweetened or pre-spiced pumpkin puree. You will be able to find this information on the ingredient list of your pumpkin puree can.
- Add some of your favorite add-ins! Make this recipe your own and add your favorite muffins add-ins: chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, chocolate chunks, banana slices, chopped fruit, and more! Be creative!
- Be patient! I know it’s extremely tempting to eat these muffins as they are pulled out of the oven, but let these muffins cool for at least 15 minutes so they will be more firm and won’t crumble up. These muffins are extra moist and melt in your mouth delicious, so it will be worth it to wait these 15 minutes.
Frequently asked questions:
How to store these pumpkin muffins?
It’s okay to store these pumpkin muffins at room temperature. Make sure that you store the muffins in an airtight container so they won’t dry out.
How long will these muffins last?
These muffins will last for up to 4 days stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Can I make these pumpkin muffins gluten-free?
Yes! Simply replace the flour with gluten-free flour, and make sure that you are using gluten-free ingredients (the ingredients are naturally gluten-free, but make sure just in case).
Can I make this recipe dairy-free?
Yes! it’s actually easy to make this recipe dairy-free. Simply replace the whole milk with almond milk or any of your favorite vegan milk.
Can I add nuts to these muffins?
Yes! Pumpkin muffins taste great with chopped toasted walnuts or pecans. You can add any of your favorite add-ins.
How long will the pumpkin muffins last?
These pumpkin muffins will last up to one week in the fridge. Cover the cake with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out. These muffins taste amazing for 4 days!
Can I add chocolate chips to this recipe?
Yes! you can definitely add chocolate chips to these pumpkin muffins. Simply add 3/4 cup of semisweet chocolate chips to the mixture and fold until just combined.
Can I freeze the pumpkin muffins?
Yes, you can freeze these pumpkin muffins after they cooled completely in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months, some people find the cupcake tastes better after freezing it.
What flour do you use for these pumpkin muffins?
We use all-purpose flour for these muffins. Self-rising flour and cake flour will work great as well.
How to serve pumpkin muffins?
We like to serve the pumpkin muffins as is with our morning coffee or tea on the side. There are many ways to upgrade your pumpkin muffins:
- Toppings- these muffins can be topped with crumble topping (or streusel topping), cream cheese frosting, cinnamon buttercream frosting, or maple cream cheese frosting. Use your favorite toppings that you like to make the most!
- Spread- spread these muffins with peanut butter, almond butter, pecan butter, or even pumpkin butter!
- Add-ins- make this recipe your own and add your favorite muffins add-ins: chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, chocolate chunks, banana slices, chopped fruit, etc.
More pumpkin recipes to try:
Pumpkin cake- This easy pumpkin cake is fluffy, extra moist, and tastes amazing. This pumpkin cake is made with pumpkin puree, brown sugar, cinnamon, and spices, topped with creamy cream cheese frosting.
Classic pumpkin pie- This classic pumpkin pie is soft, creamy, not too sweet, and the ultimate dessert for thanksgiving! This pumpkin pie recipe is extremely easy to make, loaded with pumpkin and fall flavors, and served with a big dollop of whipped cream.
Pumpkin cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting- These super moist pumpkin cupcakes are soft, delicious, stay moist for 3 days, and are topped with cinnamon cream cheese frosting. These pumpkin cupcakes are packed with pumpkin flavor and fall spices. These cupcakes are a must-try for fall!
Pumpkin bread- Our homemade pumpkin bread, made with fresh pumpkin, and fall spices gets you a moist and soft melt in your mouth pumpkin bread. This recipe is a fall favorite, extremely easy to make, no need for a mixer, tons for pumpkin and cinnamon flavors, serve next to a hot cup of tea. (an updated new recipe is coming soon)
If you tried this pumpkin muffins recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this pumpkin muffins recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!