Chocolate crinkle cookies are soft and fudgy chocolate cookies covered with crispy powder sugar outer layer.
These cookies are known to be perfect Christmas cookies, but we like to make it all year through! These cookies have a brownie texture on the inside that makes everyone go WOW!
These cookies are surprisingly easy to make and take little to no effort. One of our favorite parts of this recipe is that the ingredients are super simple.
Watch our video for how to make Chocolate crinkle cookies:
If you enjoyed this video version of this recipe, please subscribe to OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
What you will need for this recipe:
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe.
Eggs– use room temperature eggs.
Melted butter– use vegan/ vegetarian butter and melt it in the microwave.
Dutch cocoa powder- we like using Dutch cocoa powder in our recipes, Dutch cocoa powder has a richer chocolate flavor. Regular cocoa powder can work great as well!
Melted dark chocolate- use your BEST quality dark chocolate, this part matters. Melt in on stovetop or in the microwave.
Vanilla extract– vanilla extract is a great addition for baking a dessert.
Granulated sugar– we find granulated sugar is the best sugar for baking, caster sugar will work great as well.
Baking soda– to help the cookies rise.
Pinch of salt- add a pinch of kosher salt for flavor.
Powder sugar- use any brand of powder sugar.
How to make chocolate crinkle cookies:
1. In a medium mixing bowl, add granulated sugar, melted butter, and cocoa powder.
2. Mix with an electric hand mixer or with a whisk until well combined.
3. Add the melted dark chocolate, room temperature eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix again until the wet ingredients are well combined.
4. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
5. Mix with the hand mixer until well combined, try not to overmix the batter.
6. Cover the batter with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
7. Preheat an oven to 170c (340f) and prep a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
8. Scoop about 1 tbsp of the cookie batter with a tablespoon.
9. Shape the dough into a ball.
10. Place powder sugar into a small bowl. Roll and coat each cookie dough ball with a nice amount of powder sugar.
11. Place the cookies onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
12. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes, then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Frequently asked questions:
How long to cook chocolate crinkle cookies?
Do not overcook these cookies, unless you’re going for a super crispy chocolate crinkle cookie. For a crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, bake these cookies according to the instructions. For a crispy cookie, bake for 20 minutes.
What these chocolate crinkle cookies taste like?
These cookies have a rich chocolate flavor, they are slightly crispy on the outside and have a brownie texture on the inside.
Can I make the chocolate crinkle cookies vegan?
Yes. Keep in mind that the results will not be the same. Simply replace the egg with a flax egg.
How to store these chocolate crinkle cookies?
Store these chocolate crinkle cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
How long will these chocolate crinkle cookies last?
These cookies will last for up to a week stored in an airtight container at room temperature, or in the freezer placed in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 2 months.
Can I freeze these chocolate crinkle cookies?
Yes. There are two ways to freeze these cookies, first way is preparing the cookies according to the instructions, before baking, freeze them in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months, when ready to bake, place the cookie dough balls on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven according to the instructions.
The second way you can freeze these cookies, is by baking them according to the instructions, let the cookies cool completely, and freeze them in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 2 months. When ready to use, heat in a preheated oven for 5 minutes, or defrost them overnight in the fridge, and reheat them in the microwave.
Can I add chocolate chips to this recipe?
Yes, these cookies taste great with chocolate chips, add ½ a cup to the batter and bake it according to the instructions. If you like to spice things up, you can add a Hershey’s kiss on top of the cookies, you can add chocolate chunks instead of the chocolate chips for a richer flavor, or add your favorite toppings like caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, tres leches, nuts, and more!
Tips to perfect this recipe:
- Don’t overbake these cookies.
- Chill for half an hour before eating.
- Add toppings like chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, nuts.
- Don’t overmix the cookie batter.
- Add less sugar for less sweet cookies.
More cookies recipes:
Nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies– These Nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies are just perfect, crispy from the outside, gooey, and chocolaty from the inside. These cookies are perfect for any occasion, parties, holidays, friends get together, or to just eat them by yourself.
3 ingredient peanut butter cookies- This 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies recipe is amazing. With only 3 ingredients you get delicious and soft peanut butter cookies. These cookies have a rich peanut butter flavor that satisfies in the easiest and fastest way.
Brownies cookies (coming soon) – These brownies cookies are rich in chocolate flavor, lightly crispy on the outside, and tender and fudgy from the inside. These cookies give you all the most delicious parts of a brownie, its crinkly tops, fudgy middle, and chewy edges.