These snowball cookies are made with almond flour and almond extract for extra almond flavor. These cookies will completely melt in your mouth and you won't be able to stop at one!
We added lemon zest to this cookie, which makes these extra decadent and addictive. These snowball cookies are quick to make and require no rest time for the cookie dough!
What are snowball cookies?
Snowball cookies are also known as Mexican wedding cookies, Russian tea cookies, or snowball cookies. Snowball cookies are usually made with a lot of butter, flour, nuts, and a little bit of sugar. They are baked and covered with powder sugar that makes them look like snowballs!
Snowball cookies are perfect to make in winter and Christmas, they are delicious and fit perfectly for the winter holiday theme.
Before you start to make this recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Butter- use unsalted butter for this recipe. Only butter will work for this recipe, no margarine, and no coconut oil. Margarine has a weird taste and can ruin the flavor of these delicious cookies.
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe. cake flour will work great as well.
Lemon zest- Don't skip the lemon zest in this recipe! the lemon zest will add so much flavor and aroma to these cookies so don't skip it! If you want, you can replace the lemon zest with orange zest.
Almond flour- you will need almond flour for this recipe. We used store-bought almond flour. The package should say "almond flour" or "fine almond meal".
Powder sugar- you will need powder sugar for this recipe. you don’t have to buy powder sugar, you can simply make it at home by blending granulated sugar in a blender or food processor.
Vanilla extract- adds extra flavor.
Kosher salt- you will need about ½ teaspoon of kosher salt for this recipe.
In a big mixing bowl, add the soft butter, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and powder sugar. Mix with an electric hand mixer until smooth and creamy.
Add the salt, almond flour, and all-purpose flour. Mix until just combined.
Scoop out about 1 tablespoon of the batter and shape it into a ball. We used a small cookie scoop to scoop out the cookies, this way they are even in size and will bake evenly.
Place the cookie dough balls on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 11 minutes.
Let the cookies cool to room temperature. Fill a medium mixing bowl with powder sugar and roll each cookie in the powder sugar. Serve and Enjoy!
- Use room temperature ingredients. It is important that you use room-temperature ingredients like butter. This step ensures that your mixture mixes into a homogenous mixture and bakes perfectly.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have moist and tender cookies and not dense and dry cookies.
- Make sure that your butter is at room temperature. An hour or two before making these cookies, take the butter out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature. The butter should be soft to the touch. If your butter is too cold, it will be harder to mix and there will be lumps of butter in the dough.
- Measure your flour correctly! When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour with a spoon to create as many air pockets as possible, and spoon it into your measuring cup. Finally, level it with a back of a knife.
- Line your sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone mat! This step helps the cookies to bake evenly, and it makes sure that your cookies release easily from the pan.
- Before you start to make this recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
- Be patient! I know it’s extremely tempting to eat these cookies as they are pulled out of the oven, but let these cookies cool for at least 20 minutes.
It’s okay to store these cookies at room temperature. Make sure that you store them in an airtight container.
These cookies will last for up to 5 days stored at room temperature in an airtight container.
Yes! it’s easy to make this recipe dairy-free. Simply replace the butter with vegan butter. Do not margarine! margarine has a bad flavor and it can ruin the flavor of these cookies.
We use all-purpose flour for these cookies. Cake flour will work great as well.
We love freezing this dough, and we do it all the time. Simply, follow the instructions as written and make the dough, then cover the dough with plastic wrap and place it into a freezer-friendly airtight ziplock bag, and freeze the cookie dough for up to 3 months.
When ready to make these cookies, thaw them in the fridge overnight and follow the instructions as written.
- Mixing bowl (set of 3)
- Whisk Set (pack of 3) to whisk the ingredients together
- Baking sheet and rack set (our fave)
- Cookies scoop set of 3 (the best cookie scoop we used)
More cookie recipes to try:
- Kinder bueno cookies
- Kolachy cookies
- Ferrero rocher cookies
- Almond flour peanut butter cookies
- Biscoff butter cookies
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
Almond Snowball cookies
- 115 g Butter
- ¼ cup Powder sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Almond extract
- ½ teaspoon Lemon zest
- 1 cup Flour
- ½ cup Almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- In a big mixing bowl, add the soft butter, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and powder sugar. Mix with an electric hand mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add the salt, almond flour, and all-purpose flour. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop out about 1 teaspoon of the batter and shape it into a ball. We used a small cookie scoop to scoop out the cookies, this way they are even in size and will bake evenly.
- Place the cookie dough balls on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 11 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool to room temperature. Fill a medium mixing bowl with powder sugar and roll each cookie in the powder sugar. Serve and Enjoy!