This extra moist and fluffy strawberry sheet cake is made with fresh strawberries and topped with strawberry whipped cream. It's really easy to make and the flavor will not disappoint.
We love baking with strawberries and fresh fruit, if you like strawberry desserts, you should check out our mini strawberry cheesecakes, strawberry turnovers, strawberry crumble cake, mini strawberry pavlova, and strawberry jam cake.
Why this recipe works
- Extremely easy to make.
- Turns out perfect every time!
- Filled with plenty of strawberries.
- Topped with strawberry whipped cream.
- Made with simple ingredients.
Before you start to make this recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Eggs- you will need large eggs for this recipe. Make sure that your eggs are at room temperature.
Vanilla extract- adds extra flavor.
Buttermilk- gives the cake extra moisture. You can make your own buttermilk if you don't have one on hand. Simply mix a cup of milk with a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
Strawberries- we used fresh strawberries for this recipe. You will need fresh strawberries for the strawberry puree, chopped strawberries, and strawberries for the top.
Baking powder and baking soda- to allow the cake to rise.
Vegetable oil- we used vegetable oil for this recipe. Canola oil will work great for this recipe as well.
Granulated sugar- we like to use granulated, also the most common sugar used in baking. Caster sugar will work great as well.
Kosher salt- you will need about ½ teaspoon of kosher salt for this recipe.
For the strawberry whipped cream:
Heavy whipping cream- use cold heavy whipping cream.
Strawberries- for the strawberry whipped cream, we chopped fresh strawberries.
Cream cheese- we used cream cheese to this strawberry whipped cream, it adds a very delicious flavor and we highly recommend not skipping it. Make sure that your cream cheese is softened.
Powder sugar- you will need powder sugar for this recipe. You don't have to buy powdered sugar, you can simply make it at home by blending granulated sugar in a blender or food processor.
Vanilla extract- for extra flavor.
Step 1: Start by preheating an oven to 180c (350f) and prepare a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper.
Step 2: Into a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix with a whisk until combined.
Step 3: Into a big mixing bowl, add the eggs and sugar, and mix with an electric hand mixer until the mixture is fluffy and light in color.
Step 4: Add the vanilla extract, strawberry puree, vegetable oil, chopped strawberries, and strawberry jam. Mix until combined. Add the buttermilk and mix until combined.
Step 5: Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't overmix! Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake the cake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Make the strawberry whipped cream:
Step 1: Into a big mixing bowl, add the cold heavy cream, powder sugar, and mix with an electric hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
Step 2: Add the softened cream cheese and the strawberry puree and mix until just combined. Don't overmix.
Step 3: Top the cake with the strawberry whipped cream and smooth it out. We made a wave pattern with a spatula.
Step 4: Slice fresh strawberries in half and top the whipped cream with more strawberries. Serve and enjoy!
- Use room temperature ingredients. It is important that you use room-temperature ingredients like eggs and buttermilk. This step ensures that your mixture mixes into a homogenous mixture and bakes perfectly. you don’t want to place cold batter into the oven.
- Mesure you flour correctly! When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour with a spoon to create as many air pockets as possible, and spoon it into your measuring cup. Finally, level it with a back of a knife.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have a moist cake and not dense and dry cake.
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper! This step helps the cake to bake evenly, and it makes sure that your loaf cake will release easily from the pan.
- Be patient! I know it’s extremely tempting to eat this cake as it is pulled out of the oven, but let the it cool for at least 20 minutes so it will be more firm and won’t crumble up. You dont want to frost a warm cake as well, to prevent the frosting from melting. Cool the cake to room temperature.
It’s okay to store this cake at room temperature. Make sure that you store it in an airtight container so it won’t dry out.
This cake will last up to 4 days in an airtight container stored in the fridge.
Yes! Simply replace the flour with gluten-free flour, and make sure that you are using gluten-free ingredients.
We use all-purpose flour for this cake. Self-rising flour and cake flour will work great as well.
Freeze this cake after it cooled completely in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months, some people find the cake tastes better after freezing it.
our tip is not to freeze it decorated or covered with frosting, because it can ruin the decorating on the cake, we suggest freezing the cake and decorating it when you defrost it.
If you’re not looking to impress anyone with your decorating skills, it’s absolutely okay to freeze the cake with the frosting on.
There are a few substitutions that may be helpful for your diet:
- Gluten-free - if you want to make this recipe gluten-free, simply replace the flour with gluten-free flour.
- Dairy-free- you can make this cake dairy-free by replacing the buttermilk with dairy-free buttermilk.
- Mixing bowls- best glass mixing bowls.
- Whisk set- our favorite copper whisk set.
- 9x13 baking pan- our favorite 9x13 baking pan ever!
More easy cake recipes:
Favorite chocolate cake- This is the best ever chocolate cake ever. I’ve been searching for the best one bowl chocolate cake recipe for so long and found it and can’t wait to share it with you!
Moist honey cake- This honey cake is moist, rich in flavor, full of spices that will make your house smell like autumn. This honey cake is definitely a family favorite.
Easy apple cake- This easy apple cake is going to be your new favorite easy and light cake! This cake is fluffy, light, airy, moist, soft, and delicious.
No-Bake Chocolate Biscuit Cake- one of the easiest no-bake recipes, takes only 20 minutes from start to finish, and it tastes incredible!
If you tried this cake recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this cake recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
Fresh Strawberry Sheet Cake Recipe
- 3 cups Flour
- 2 ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 cups Granulated sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ cups Buttermilk
- ⅔ cups Vegetable oil
- ½ cups Strawberries chopped
- 1 cups Strawberry puree
- ⅓ cups Strawberry jam
Strawberry whipped cream:
- ½ cups Chopped strawberries
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ cups Powder sugar
- 1 ½ cups Heavy cream
- 115 g Cream cheese
- Start by preheating an oven to 180c (350f) and prepare a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Into a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix with a whisk until combined.
- Into a big mixing bowl, add the eggs and sugar and mix with an electric hand mixer until the mixture is fluffy and light in color.
- Add the vanilla extract, strawberry puree, vegetable oil, chopped strawberries, and strawberry jam. Mix until combined.
- Then add the buttermilk and mix with the hand mixer until combined.
- Add the dry ingredient, and mix until just combined. Don’t overmix!
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake the cake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. let the cake cool to room temperature.
- Into a big mixing bowl, add the cold heavy cream, powder sugar, and mix with an electric hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Add the softened cream cheese and the strawberry puree and mix until just combined. Don’t overmix.
- Top the cake with the strawberry whipped cream and smooth it out. We made a wave pattern with a spatula.
- Slice fresh strawberries in half and top the whipped cream with more strawberries. Serve and enjoy!