These moist double chocolate muffins are better than bakery chocolate muffins and stay fresh for 3 days! These are made with dutch cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and chocolate chunks.
These muffins are bursting with chocolate flavor and are every's chocolate lover's dream!
These made from scratch moist double chocolate muffins are super easy to whip up and come together in a snap! These are loaded with a LOT of chocolate, and made with Greek yogurt makes these extra moist!
If you are a chocolate lover, you should try our favorite chocolate recipes like our fudgy brownies recipe, chocolate cupcakes recipe, chocolate cake recipe, and our popular double chocolate banana bread recipe!
Why this recipe works
- Extremely easy to make.
- An extra moist muffin that stays moist for 3 days!
- Every chocolate lover's dream muffins!
- Made in one bowl! Perfect when you don't want to do a lot of dishes.
- Perfect to make when you need to grab a delicious quick breakfast.
- Made in under an hour from start to finish.
Before you start to make this recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Buttermilk- we make our homemade buttermilk (1 cup of milk plus 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar).
Greek yogurt- get your Greek yogurt to room temperature. Any percent of fat will work for this recipe.
Dutch cocoa powder– we like to use Dutch-process cocoa powder for our muffins because we like the deep and rich chocolate taste, but the natural cocoa powder will work great as well!
Sugar- we used granulated sugar for this recipe. You can use caster sugar as well.
Eggs- you will need 2 large eggs for this recipe. Make sure that your eggs are at room temperature.
Vanilla extract- adds extra flavor.
Preheat an oven to 180c (350f) and prep a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
Add the chocolate chips and chocolate chunks. Lightly fold the mixture until it’s just combined.
Scoop the batter with a large ice cream scooper into the muffin tins, top with more chocolate chips, and bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Don’t overbake these muffins! Let the muffins cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Use room temperature ingredients. It is important that you use room-temperature ingredients like eggs and yogurt. This step ensures that your mixture mixes into a homogenous mixture and bakes perfectly. you don’t want to place cold batter into the oven.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have moist muffins and not dense and dry muffins.
- Make sure that you are using fresh ingredients! One of the most common mistakes in baking and making muffins is not noticing that your baking powder or baking soda is expired. This can ruin your muffins and waste your time and money on the ingredients. So every time you bake anything, make sure that the ingredients are not expired.
- Mesure you flour correctly! When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour with a spoon to create as many air pockets as possible, and spoon it into your measuring cup. Finally, level it with a back of a knife.
- Add some of your favorite add-ins! Make this recipe your own and add your favorite muffins add-ins: white chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, chocolate chunks, banana slices, chopped fruit, and more! Be creative!
- Be patient! I know it’s extremely tempting to eat these muffins as it is pulled out of the oven, but let them cool for at least 20 minutes so it will be more firm and won’t crumble up. These chocolate muffins are extra moist and melt in your mouth delicious, so it will be worth it to wait these 20 minutes.
These muffins will last for up to 4 days stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
These muffins use a lot of chocolate, which makes this decadent and irresistible. We highly recommend using the best quality chocolate bars and chocolate chips that you can find and afford.
We used high-quality semisweet chocolate, but you can use dark chocolate for an extra rich flavor.
Yes! Chocolate muffins taste great with chopped toasted walnuts or pecans. You can add any of your favorite add-ins.
It’s okay to store these muffins at room temperature. Make sure that you store the muffins in an airtight container so they won’t dry out.
Freeze these muffins after they cooled completely in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months, some people find the muffins taste better after freezing them.
To thaw, place them in the fridge overnight or at room temperature for a few hours. Reheat them in the microwave or in the toaster oven.
There are a few substitutions that may be helpful for your diet:
Gluten-free - if you want to make this recipe gluten-free, simply replace the flour with gluten-free flour.
Dairy-free- you can make these muffins dairy-free by replacing the butter with vegan butter and the buttermilk with vegan milk or buttermilk, and the yogurt with vegan yogurt.
Toppings- these muffins can be topped with crumble topping (or streusel topping), and cream cheese frosting. Use your favorite toppings that you like to make the most!
More chocolate recipes:
Double chocolate banana bread- This double chocolate banana bread is filled and topped with chocolate chips, extra moist, and melt in your mouth delicious. Since we started making this double chocolate banana bread, it become our favorite banana bread recipe ever!
Best ever chocolate cupcakes- This is the most amazing chocolate cupcake recipe. These chocolate cupcakes are moist, fluffy, full of rich chocolate flavor, and come together in one bowl.
Favorite chocolate cake- This is the best ever chocolate cake ever. I’ve been searching for the best one bowl chocolate cake recipe for so long and found it and can’t wait to share it with you!
Best fudgy brownies- These fudgy brownies are made from scratch brownies are loaded with chocolate chunks, and take under an hour to make. These brownies are fudgy, rich in chocolate flavor, have a crinkly top, and are gooey on the inside.
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
Moist Double chocolate muffins
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- ½ cup Vegetable oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ cup Dutch cocoa powder
- ¾ cup Chocolate chips
- ¾ cup Chocolate chunks
- Preheat an oven to 180c (350f) and prep a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Into a big bowl, add the eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, buttermilk, salt, sugar, and greek yogurt. Mix with a whisk until the mixture is well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sift the cocoa powder. Mix with a whisk or a wooden spoon until the mixture is almost combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and chocolate chunks. Lightly fold the mixture until it’s just combined.
- Scoop the batter with a large ice cream scooper into the muffin tins, top with more chocolate chips, and bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Don’t overbake these muffins! Let the muffins cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.