These apple crumble muffins are made with moist muffin batter, filled with chopped apples, topped with a buttery crumble, and topped with a delicious glaze.
These apple crumb muffins are a delicious muffin recipe that combines the flavors of juicy apples and warm spices.
These muffins are made with a moist and tender apple-infused batter, and topped with a crunchy crumble topping.
They are perfect for breakfast or as an afternoon snack, offering a comforting and indulgent experience for apple lovers.
Why this recipe works
- Crumble topping- It is made with a delicious and easy one bowl cinnamon crumble topping.
- Fresh apples- These muffins are filled with freshly chopped apples that you get in every bite.
- Moist muffins- These are made with melted butter and greek yogurt which makes these muffins extra moist and tender.
- Grab and go snack- These are perfect to make when you need a quick breakfast or snack to grab and go.
- Time- These come together in under an hour from start to finish and are perfect when you are short on time but want to make a delicious muffin.
Before you start to make this recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Full measurements are in the recipe card below.
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Butter- use unsalted butter for this recipe. Only butter will work for this recipe, no margarine, and no coconut oil. Margarine has a weird taste and can ruin the flavor of this dessert.
Greek yogurt- get your Greek yogurt to room temperature. Any percent of fat will work for this recipe.
Milk- use whole milk for this recipe.
Brown sugar- adds a nice texture to the muffins and compliments the cinnamon flavor.
Sugar- we used granulated sugar for this recipe. You can use caster sugar as well.
Eggs- you will need 2 large eggs for this recipe. Make sure that you use room-temperature eggs in this recipe.
Vanilla extract- adds extra flavor.
Apples- we like to use granny smith apples for this recipe, they are a little bit less sweet, but any kind of your favorite apples will work!
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, cake flour will work great as well.
Sugar- we used granulated sugar for this recipe. You can use brown sugar as well.
Pinch of salt- we used kosher salt.
Melted butter- use unsalted butter for this recipe. melt your butter in the microwave or on the stovetop. Melted butter adds to this banana bread lots of moisture.
Add the peeled, and chopped chunks of apples, and mix until just combined.
Pour the batter into the muffin tins filling almost to the top.
Top the muffins with about 1 tablespoon of the streusel topping and press the streusel topping onto the muffin batter so it sticks and does not fall off while baking.
Bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Don’t overbake these muffins!
Make a simple glaze
Into a small mixing bowl, add the powder sugar, milk, and vanilla. Mix with a spoon until the mixture is well combined and until the glaze is smooth and silky.
Top each muffin with as much glaze as you would like, and serve warm next to a cup of coffee or hot tea. Enjoy!
- Use room temperature ingredients. It is important that you use room-temperature ingredients like eggs and milk. This step ensures that your mixture mixes into a homogenous mixture and bakes perfectly. you don’t want to place cold batter into the oven.
- To make this process easy, quick, and clean, use an apple peeler and corer. Here is the one I use all the time.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have moist muffins and not dense and dry muffins.
- Mesure you flour correctly! When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour with a spoon to create as many air pockets as possible, and spoon it into your measuring cup. Finally, level it with a back of a knife.
- Be patient! I know it's extremely tempting to eat these muffins as they are pulled out of the oven, but let these muffins cool for at least 15 minutes so they will be more firm and won't crumble up.
- These muffins are extra moist and melt in your mouth delicious, so it will be worth it to wait these 15 minutes.
We use all-purpose flour for these muffins. Self-rising flour and cake flour will work great as well.
Use your favorite kind of apples! We like using granny smith apples, but any apple kind will work. If you like sweet apples, use Honeycrisp, or pink lady.
Yes! These muffins taste great with chopped toasted walnuts or pecans. You can add any of your favorite add-ins.
It is important to allow the muffins to cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes after baking, and then transfer them to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely or eat them warm!
These muffins will last for up to 4 days stored at room temperature. Cover the muffins with plastic wrap or foil to prevent them from drying out.
Freeze these muffins after they cooled completely in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months.
Thaw at room temperature for a few hours or in the fridge overnight.
There are a few substitutions that may be helpful for your diet:
Gluten-free - if you want to make this recipe gluten-free, simply replace the flour with gluten-free flour.
Dairy-free- you can make these muffins dairy-free by replacing the butter with vegan butter.
Toppings- these muffins can be topped with cream cheese frosting, cinnamon buttercream frosting, or maple cream cheese frosting. Use your favorite toppings that you like to make the most!
Add-ins- make this recipe your own and add your favorite muffins add-ins: chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, chocolate chunks, banana slices, chopped fruit, etc.
- Mixing bowl (set of 3)
- Whisk Set (pack of 3) to whisk the ingredients together
- Apple corer and slicer
- Muffin pan
More muffins recipes
Double chocolate muffins- These moist double chocolate muffins are better than bakery chocolate muffins and stay fresh for 3 days!
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this recipe
Easy Apple Crumble Muffins
- 2 ½ cups Flour
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- ½ cup Brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 115 g Butter melted
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup Milk
- 2 Apples peeled and chopped
- ¾ cup Flour
- ¼ cup Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ Kosher salt
- 60 g Butter melted
- 1 cup Powder sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon Milk
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat an oven to 180c (350f) and prep a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Into a big mixing bowl, add the melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, yogurt, milk, cinnamon, eggs, vanilla extract, and kosher salt. Mix with a whisk until the mixture is well combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and baking powder, and mix until almost combined.
- Add the peeled, and chopped chunks of apples, and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tins filling almost to the top.
Make the streusel topping:
- Into a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Mix with a spoon until the mixture is well combined.
- Scoop the batter halfway through with an ice cream scooper, and top with about 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar. Scoop the second half of the mixture onto the cinnamon sugar topping.
- Top the muffins with about 1 tablespoon of the streusel topping and press the streusel topping onto the muffin batter so it sticks and does not fall off while baking.
- Bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Don’t overbake these muffins! Let the muffins cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Make a simple glaze:
- Into a small mixing bowl, add the powder sugar, milk, and vanilla. Mix with a spoon until the mixture is well combined and until the glaze is smooth and silky.
- Top each muffin with as much glaze that you would like, and serve warm next to a cup of coffee or hot tea. Enjoy!