These carrot cake cupcakes are moist, soft, perfectly spiced, and every carrot cake and fall lover’s dream. These carrot cake cupcakes are made with grated carrots, brown sugar, fall spices, topped with a creamy cream cheese frosting.
One of our favorite things about this recipe is that it comes together in under an hour from start to finish. These carrot cake cupcakes are unbelievably moist and fluffy, and they stay moist for 3 days!
If you like cupcakes recipes as much as we do, try our chocolate cupcakes, and our red velvet cupcakes (coming soon).
Watch our video for how to make carrot cake cupcakes:
If you enjoyed this video version of this recipe, please subscribe to OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Why this recipe works:
- The whole recipe comes together super quickly.
- These cupcakes are perfectly sized.
- These cupcakes are unbelievably moist and fluffy.
- Topped with dreamy cream cheese frosting.
- Perfect to make when you need a quick dessert.
- Made with simple ingredients.
- Stays moist for 3 days!
- The ingredients for this carrot cake cupcakes are super simple and basic, you probably have them lying around in your kitchen.
What you will need for this recipe:
For the carrot cake cupcakes:
Carrots- use fresh carrots for this recipe! Not canned carrots and not pre-shredded carrots, to get moist cupcakes to use fresh carrots and grate them yourself.
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Baking powder and baking soda – to allow the cake to rise.
Brown sugar- we like using brown sugar for this recipe, the brown sugar adds extra flavor and tastes amazing with fall spices.
Granulated sugar– we like to use granulated sugar, also the most common sugar used in baking. Caster sugar will work great as well.
Vegetable oil – we used vegetable oil for this recipe. canola oil will work great for this recipe.
Eggs– To give the cake a good structure. Make sure you’re using room-temperature eggs.
Vanilla extract– Vanilla extract Is an essential ingredient for chocolate cake.
Cinnamon- use ground cinnamon for this recipe, the cinnamon adds so much flavor so don’t skip it.
Nutmeg- use dried ground nutmeg or freshly grated nutmeg.
Salt– We used kosher salt for this recipe. Salt doesn’t give the cake a salty taste, it helps to enhance the chocolate flavor.
For the cream cheese frosting:
Butter- make sure you are using room temperate butter.
Cream cheese- make sure that you are using whole-fat cream cheese that is at room temperature.
Powder sugar- known as confessional sugar. For a smoother buttercream, sift it before adding to the butter.
Pinch of salt- to balance the sweetness.
Tools to make this recipe:
Mixing bowls- best glass mixing bowls.
Whisk set- our favorite copper whisk set.
Cupcakes tins- our favorite Wilton cupcake tins.
Open star piping tip- our favorite Wilton piping tip for cupcake decoration.
How to make carrot cake cupcakes:
1. Preheat an oven to 180c (350f) and prep a cupcake pan with liners.
2. Into a big mixing bowl, add the oil, eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, and kosher salt. mix with a whisk until combined.
3. Peel and grate the carrots. Add the grated carrots into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda, and mix until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter!
5. Pour the batter 3/4 into the cupcake tins and bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
For the cream cheese frosting:
1. Make the cream cheese frosting: into a large bowl add room temperature butter and mix with a hand mixer or a stand mixer until the butter is light and fluffy.
2. Add the cream cheese and mix until smooth.
3. Add ½ of the powder sugar at a time (you don’t want to be in a powder sugar cloud).
4. Add a pinch of salt, and the vanilla extract and mix well until smooth.
5. Transfer the cream cheese frosting into a piping bag with a round tip and frost the cupcakes. We like to top the cupcakes with ground cinnamon or crushed nuts like walnuts or pecans (roasted).
Tips for this recipe:
- Use room temperature ingredients.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have moist cupcakes and not dense and dry cupcakes.
- Use fresh carrots for this recipe, not canned carrots and not pre-shredded carrots, this step ensures that you have moist cupcakes.
- Use room temperature butter and cream cheese.
- Use full-fat cream cheese, this step makes sure that your frosting is stable.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before adding the frosting.
Frequently asked questions:
Can I add nuts to these cupcakes?
Yes! Carrot cake cupcakes taste great with chopped toasted walnuts or pecans. You can add any of your favorite add-ins.
How long will the carrot cake cupcakes last?
These carrot cake cupcakes will last up to one week in the fridge. Cover the cake with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out. This cupcake tastes amazing the day after.
Can I freeze the carrot cake cupcakes?
Yes, you can freeze this cake after it cooled completely in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months, some people find the cupcake tastes better after freezing it.
our tip is not to freeze it decorated or covered with frosting, because it can ruin the decorating on the cake, we suggest freezing the cupcake and decorate it when you defrost it.
If you’re not looking to impress anyone with your decorating skills, it’s absolutely okay to freeze the cupcake with the frosting on.
How to serve carrot cake cupcakes?
We like to serve the carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting on top and we like to sprinkle ground cinnamon on top.
Can I make these carrot cake cupcakes as sheet cake?
Yes! These cupcakes bake great as a sheet cake or a cupcake! Make sure you change the baking time.
What flour do you use for these carrot cake cupcakes?
We use all-purpose flour for these cupcakes. Self-rising flour and cake flour will work great as well.
What frosting can I use instead of cream cheese frosting?
If you don’t like cream cheese frosting, you can use vanilla buttercream or cinnamon buttercream.
More fall recipes to try:
Moist honey cake- This honey cake is moist, rich in flavor, full of spices that will make your house smell like autumn. This honey cake is definitely a family favorite. Every Rosh Hashana we make this honey cake, it’s our favorite time of the year.
Apple upside-down cake- This apple upside-down cake recipe is a must-have for fall. This apple upside-down cake features an incredibly moist cake that is loaded with cinnamon and nutmeg, topped with a caramelized apple topping.
Easy apple cake- This cake is fluffy, light, airy, moist, soft, and delicious. This apple cake contains only a few simple ingredients to make and takes under 20 minutes to prep.
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
For the cupcakes:
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- Instructions: For the cupcakes:
- For the cream cheese frosting: