This honey cake is moist, rich in flavor, and full of spices that will make your house smell like autumn. We make this cake every Rosh Hashanah, it's our favorite time of the year.
This cake says moist and delicious for a few days. It even tastes better one or two days later. This cake will become your new favorite tea cake, I can't wait for you to try it!
It is a simple yet satisfying treat that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with a cup of tea or coffee.
The cake has an insanely tender crumb and is topped with a drizzle of honey glaze or dusted with powdered sugar for an extra touch of sweetness.
Why this recipe works
- Simple- This cake uses simple ingredients you can find in any grocery store which creates the most delicious tea cake you will fall in love with!
- One bowl cake- This cake comes together in just one bowl. All you will need to make this is the ingredients, a whisk, and a mixing bowl.
- Texture- The texture of this cake is light and fluffy and melt in your mouth delicious. The cake stays soft for 3-4 days!
- Flavor- This cake is made with honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and black tea which combines into a delicious honey cake flavor.
- Time- you will need only 10 minutes to prepare this cake, and another 45 minutes to bake it. Total of under an hour to make this from start to finish!
Honey cake for Rosh Hashana
In Rosh Hashana in the Jewish culture, it’s a tradition to make lots of foods and desserts to celebrate the Jewish “New Year’s” holiday. This cake is one of the desserts that we see every year around the table.
Before you start to make this Jewish honey cake recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Full measurements are in the recipe card below.
Flour– We used all-purpose flour for this recipe. cake flour will work great as well.
Granulated sugar– We like to use granulated sugar, also the most common sugar used in baking. Caster sugar will work great as well.
Oil- We used vegetable oil for this recipe, canola oil can work as well.
Eggs- you will need large eggs for this recipe. Make sure that your eggs are at room temperature.
Tea- Make a strong black tea and cool it lightly.
Salt- We used kosher salt for this recipe, you will need ¼ teaspoon of salt.
Cinnamon- gives this cake an amazing taste.
Nutmeg- you will need ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg.
Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients mixture and carefully mix until just combined. (don’t overmix!)
Drizzle honey on top of the cake right when it comes out of the oven. Smooth it out with a spoon.
Let the cake cool for at least 30 minutes and serve!
- Don't skip drizzling the top of the loaf with honey! This is the final touch that takes this honey cake to the next level.
- Use room temperature ingredients. It is important that you use room-temperature ingredients like eggs. This step ensures that your mixture mixes into a homogenous mixture and bakes perfectly. you don’t want to place cold batter into the oven.
- For extra crunch, add chopped nuts of your choice like chopped pecans, almonds, or walnuts.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have moist cake and not dense and dry cake.
- Measure your flour correctly! When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour with a spoon to create as many air pockets as possible, and spoon it into your measuring cup. Finally, level it with the back of a knife.
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper! This step helps the cake to release easily from the pan.
- Be patient! I know it’s extremely tempting to eat this cake as it is pulled out of the oven, but let the honey loaf cool for at least 20 minutes so it will be firmer and won’t crumble up.
The flavor of this cake is sweet, tender, moist, full of cinnamon flavor, and delicious.
Yes! It's popular to mix and sprinkle nuts in this cake, add chopped walnuts to the batter of the cake, or top the cake with sliced almonds.
Check the middle of the loaf by inserting a toothpick into the loaf. When the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, bake for another 5-10 minutes.
Store this cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
This cake is very easy to freeze. After baking, let the cake cool to room temperature, transfer it into a freezer-friendly Ziploc bag, or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw: Place the cake in the refrigerator overnight or place it a room temperature for a few hours.
More fall recipes:
Pecan upside down cake- This pecan upside down cake is made with a moist and simple vanilla cake and topped with an easy caramel pecan topping.
Apple upside-down cake- This apple upside-down cake recipe is a must-have for fall. This apple upside-down cake features an incredibly moist cake that is loaded with cinnamon and nutmeg, topped with a caramelized apple topping.
Easy apple cake- This cake is fluffy, light, airy, moist, soft, and delicious. This apple cake contains only a few simple ingredients to make and takes under 20 minutes to prep.
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
Moist Honey Cake (Rosh Hashanah)
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients mixture and carefully mix until just combined. (don’t overmix!)
- Drizzle honey on top of the cake right when it comes out of the oven. Smooth it out with a spoon.
- let the cake cool for at least 30 minutes and serve!