This is the most amazing chocolate cupcake recipe. These chocolate cupcakes are moist, fluffy, full of rich chocolate flavor, and comes together in one bowl. These chocolate cupcakes taste amazing with our chocolate cream cheese frosting and our chocolate buttercream frosting.
This chocolate cupcake recipe is going to be your new favorite. Everyone who tastes these chocolate cupcakes says it’s the most amazing cupcakes they ever had. We have one secret ingredient that makes these chocolate cupcakes moist and flavorful.
Watch our video for how to make the best ever chocolate cake:
If you enjoyed this video version of this recipe, please subscribe to OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Tools to make this recipe:
Mixing bowls- best glass mixing bowls.
Whisk set- our favorite copper whisk set.
Cupcakes tins- our favorite Wilton cupcake tins.
Open star piping tip- our favorite Wilton piping tip for cupcake decoration.
What you will need for this recipe:
For the chocolate cupcake:
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Dutch cocoa powder– we like to use Dutch-process cocoa powder for our chocolate cake because we like the deep and rich chocolate taste, but the natural cocoa powder will work great as well!
Baking powder and baking soda – to help the cake rise.
Granulated sugar– we like to use granulated sugar, also it the most common sugar used in baking. Caster sugar will work great as well.
Vegetable oil – we used vegetable oil for this recipe. canola oil will work great for this recipe.
Eggs– To give the cake a good structure. Make sure you’re using room-temperature eggs.
Buttermilk– gives the cake extra moisture. You can make your own buttermilk if you don’t have one on hand. Simply mix a cup of milk with a tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
Hot coffee– our secret ingredient. Gives the cupcakes an amazing chocolate flavor. Don’t worry, you can’t taste the coffee at all! Make a strong hot coffee, you can use espresso or instant coffee, both will work.
Vanilla extract– Vanilla extract Is an essential ingredient for chocolate cake.
Salt– We used kosher salt for this recipe. Salt doesn’t give the cake a salty taste, it helps to enhance the chocolate flavor.
For the chocolate frosting:
Butter- make sure you are using room temperate butter.
Powder sugar- known as confessional sugar. For a smoother buttercream, sift it before adding to the butter.
Cocoa powder- we used Dutch cocoa powder. You can use natural cocoa powder as well.
Dark chocolate- melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or on the stovetop (bain-marie) and let it cool completely so it won’t melt the butter.
Pinch of salt- to balance the sweetness.
How to make chocolate cupcake:
1. Preheat an oven to 350f (180c) and prep a cupcake pan with liners.
2. In a big mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and mix with a whisk until well combined.
3. Add the hot coffee, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Mix well until combined and smooth.
4. Use an ice cream scoop to fill out the cupcake 2/3 full (do not overfill) and bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Cool the cupcakes for 10 minutes and transfer them into a cooling rack to cool completely (don’t frost warm cupcake).
For the chocolate cream cheese frosting:
1. Make the chocolate frosting: into a large bowl add room temperature butter and mix with a hand mixer or a stand mixer until the butter is light and fluffy.
2. Add the cream cheese and mix until smooth.
3. Add the powder sugar, cocoa powder, pinch of salt, and vanilla extract and mix well until smooth.
4. Frost the cupcakes with a 1M Wilton open star tip.
Tips to perfect this recipe:
- Don’t skip the coffee in the chocolate cupcake, you can’t taste the coffee, it simply enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Don’t overmix the batter, mix the batter until just combined, you don’t want the chocolate cupcake batter to develop gluten from the flour.
- Make sure you use room temperature butter for the chocolate frosting. This step is a must to get a smooth chocolate frosting.
- Cool the melted chocolate before adding it to the chocolate frosting! This step is a must, if the melted chocolate will be hot, it will melt the butter and the chocolate frosting will be ruined.
Frequently asked questions:
Can you taste the coffee in the chocolate cupcake?
No! you can’t taste the coffee. By adding the coffee, simply enhances the chocolate flavor. So, don’t skip the coffee in the cupcake!
How long will the chocolate cupcake last?
This chocolate cake will last up to one week in the fridge. Cover the cake with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out. This cupcake tastes amazing the day after.
Can I freeze the chocolate cupcake?
Yes, you can freeze this cake after it cooled completely in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months, some people find the cupcake tastes better after freezing it.
our tip is not to freeze it decorated or covered with frosting, because it can ruin the decorating on the cake, we suggest freezing the cupcake and decorate it when you defrost it.
If you’re not looking to impress anyone with your decorating skills, it’s absolutely okay to freeze the cake with the frosting on.
How to serve chocolate cupcake?
We like to serve the chocolate cupcake with a drizzle of homemade salted caramel, chocolate sauce, topped with sprinkles, or by itself.
Can I make this chocolate cupcake as a sheet cake?
Yes! These cupcakes bake great as a sheet cake or a cupcake! Make sure you change the baking time.
What flour do you use for this chocolate cupcake?
We use all-purpose flour for this cupcake, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Can I use natural cocoa powder?
We like to use Dutch prosses cocoa powder, because it gives the cake a deeper rich chocolate taste, and natural cocoa powder will work! It’s just a personal preference.
Can I use my favorite frosting on this cupcake?
Yes! You can use any kind of your favorite frosting on this cupcake, this cake is very versatile so you can turn it into whatever you want! You can use chocolate frosting, vanilla frosting, caramel frosting, etc.
Explore more chocolate recipes:
Best Ever Chocolate Cake- This is the best ever chocolate cake ever. I’ve been searching for the best one bowl chocolate cake recipe for so long and found it and can’t wait to share it with you!
No-Bake Éclair Cake- a classic dessert that my family has been making for years
3 ingredient chocolate ice cream- This creamy and velvety smooth homemade 3 ingredient chocolate ice cream is extremely easy to make, no need for an ice cream machine, and tastes better than store-bought!
No-Bake Chocolate Biscuit Cake- one of the easiest no-bake recipes, takes only 20 minutes from start to finish, and it tastes incredible!
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this chocolate cupcake recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
- Chocolate buttercream:
- Chocolate cream cheese frosting:
- Instructions: For the cupcakes:
- For the chocolate buttercream frosting:
- For the cream cheese chocolate frosting: