This double chocolate banana bread is filled and topped with chocolate chips, extra moist, and melt in your mouth delicious.
Since we started making this chocolate banana bread, it become our favorite banana bread recipe ever!
This double chocolate banana bread is perfect as a quick breakfast, dessert, or snack! This chocolate banana bread comes together in a snap and will become your favorite way to use ripe bananas.
Why this recipe works
- Moist banana bread- an extra moist banana bread that stays moist for 3-4 days!
- Simple- this incredibly delicious bread is made with simple ingredients you can find in any grocery store.
- Double chocolate- this bread is loaded with chocolate chips and Dutch cocoa powder and is extra chocolaty for chocolate lovers!
- Perfect for any occasion- this is perfect to make when you need a quick breakfast, a quick snack, or a delicious and chocolaty dessert.
Before you start to make this double chocolate chip banana bread recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Full measurements are in the recipe card below.
Ripe bananas- Use only ripe bananas for this recipe! Overripe bananas are more sweet, moist, and easy to mash into a pudding consistency.
If you don’t have ripe bananas, bake regular bananas in a 200c (400f) preheated oven for 10 minutes, this will soften the bananas and make them into a ripe banana texture.
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Baking soda – to allow the banana bread to rise. You will need a teaspoon of baking soda.
Melted butter- use unsalted butter for this recipe. melt your butter in the microwave or on the stovetop. Melted butter adds to this banana bread with lots of moisture.
Greek yogurt- get your Greek yogurt to room temperature. Any percent of fat will work for this recipe.
Dutch process cocoa powder– we like to use Dutch process cocoa powder for our brownies because we like the deep and rich chocolate taste, but the natural cocoa powder will work great as well!
Sugar- we used granulated sugar for this recipe. You can use caster sugar as well.
Brown sugar- adds a nice texture and a rich flavor to the banana bread.
Eggs- you will need 1 large egg for this recipe. Make sure that your egg is at room temperature.
Vanilla extract- adds extra flavor.
Kosher salt- you will need about ½ teaspoon of kosher salt for this recipe.
How to ripen bananas fast?
If you want to make this banana bread, but you don't have ripe bananas on hand, don't worry! Bake regular bananas in a 200c (400f) preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, this will soften the bananas and make them a ripe banana texture.
Or bake the bananas unpeeled in a 150c (300f) for about 10 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, add the ripe bananas and mash them into a pudding-like consistency with a fork or a potato masher.
Sift the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix until almost combined.
Add the chocolate chips and lightly fold the mixture until it's just combined.
Bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the banana bread comes out clean.
- Use room temperature ingredients. It is important that you use room-temperature ingredients like eggs and yogurt. This step ensures that your mixture mixes into a homogenous mixture and bakes perfectly. you don’t want to place cold batter into the oven.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have moist banana bread and not dense and dry banana bread.
- Measure your flour correctly! When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour with a spoon to create as many air pockets as possible, and spoon it into your measuring cup. Finally, level it with a back of a knife.
- Use only ripe bananas for this recipe! ripe bananas are sweet, moist, and easy to mash into a pudding consistency.
- Be patient! I know it’s extremely tempting to eat this banana bread as it is pulled out of the oven, but let the loaf cool for at least 20 minutes so it will be more firm and won’t crumble up.
This banana bread will last for up to 4 days stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Yes! Banana bread and the banana flavor taste great with chopped toasted walnuts or pecans. You can add any of your favorite add-ins.
We use all-purpose flour for this bread. Self-rising flour and cake flour will work great as well.
It’s okay to store this banana bread at room temperature. Make sure that you store the banana bread in an airtight container so it won’t dry out.
This bread is very easy to freeze. After baking, let it cool to room temperature, transfer it into a freezer-friendly Ziploc bag, or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw: place it in the refrigerator overnight or place it a room temperature for a few hours.
Gluten-free - If you want to make this recipe gluten-free, simply replace the flour with gluten-free flour.
Dairy-free - You can make this dairy-free by replacing the butter with vegan butter.
We like to serve the banana bread as is with our morning coffee or tea on the side. There are many ways to upgrade your banana bread:
Spread- Spread a slice of this banana bread with peanut butter, almond butter, pecan butter, or even pumpkin butter!
Toppings- This banana bread can be topped with crumble topping (or streusel topping), cream cheese frosting, cinnamon buttercream frosting, or maple cream cheese frosting. Use your favorite toppings that you like to make the most!
Add-ins- make this recipe your own and add your favorite add-ins: chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, peanut butter chips, chocolate chunks, banana slices, chopped fruit, etc.
More banana desserts
Banana Pudding Cupcakes- These banana pudding cupcakes are made with a moist, tender, and light banana cupcake base, filled with a banana pudding filling, and topped with stabilized whipped cream.
Banana Chocolate Chip Cake- This chocolate chip banana cake is moist and filled with melty pockets of chocolate and is topped with our rich and silky smooth chocolate frosting.
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this recipe
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
Double Chocolate Banana Bread (Moist For 4 Days!)
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ cup Cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups Mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 Egg
- 55 g Butter melted
- ⅓ cup Brown sugar
- ⅓ cup Granulated sugar
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup Chocolate chips (plus more for topping)
- Preheat an oven to 180c (350f) and prep a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ripe bananas and mash them into a pudding-like consistency with a fork or a potato masher.
- Into a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, kosher salt, baking soda, and mix until just combined.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix until almond combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and lightly fold the mixture until it’s just combined.
- Pour the batter into a parchment paper-lined loaf pan and top the batter with extra chocolate chips! Bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the banana bread comes out clean.