This apple crumble cake is made with a buttery cinnamon spiced cake that is filled with fresh chopped apples, and topped with crumble topping!
This cake is the perfect cake for fall and for cinnamon and apple lovers! My cousin said 'this is one of the best cakes that I've ever had!' and I totally agree.
Why this recipe works
- Perfect next to a cup of coffee on a rainy day, or any other day!
- It is made with a cinnamon crumble topping.
- Made with simple ingredients.
- This cake is filled with freshly chopped and peeled apples.
- Is delicious and extremely easy to make.
Before you start to make this recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Full measurements are in the recipe card below.
Butter- use unsalted butter for this recipe. Only butter will work for this recipe, no margarine, and no coconut oil. Margarine has a weird taste and can ruin the flavor of this dessert.
Eggs- you will need eggs for this recipe. Make sure that your eggs are at room temperature.
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe. cake flour will work great as well.
Baking powder– baking powder allows the cake to rise. Make sure that your baking powder is not expired.
Granulated sugar– we like to use granulated sugar, also the most common sugar used in baking. Caster sugar will work great as well.
Brown sugar- brown sugar compliments the cinnamon flavor.
Sour cream or greek yogurt- you can use either greek yogurt or sour cream. Get your sour cream to room temperature. Any percent of fat will work for this recipe.
Vanilla extract- adds extra flavor.
Buttermilk– gives the cake extra moisture. You can make your own buttermilk if you don’t have one on hand. Simply mix a cup of milk with a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
Kosher salt- you will need about ½ teaspoon of kosher salt for this recipe.
Apples- we like to use granny smith apples for this recipe, they are a little bit less sweet, but any kind of your favorite apples will work!
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, cake flour will work great as well.
Sugar- we used granulated sugar for this recipe. You can use brown sugar as well.
Pinch of salt- we used kosher salt.
Melted butter- use unsalted butter for this recipe. melt your butter in the microwave or on the stovetop. Melted butter adds to this banana bread with lots of moisture.
Preheat the oven to 180 (350f) and prep an 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
Add the eggs, greek yogurt, and vegetable oil. Mix until well combined.
Add the flour, and baking powder, and mix until almost combined.
Add the buttermilk and mix until almost combined.
Add the chopped and peeled apples and mix until just combined.
Pour the batter into a parchment paper-lined baking pan and smooth it out with a spatula.
Make the crumble topping
Top the cake with the streusel topping and press the streusel topping onto the cake batter so it sticks and does not fall off while baking.
Bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 45-50 minutes (depending on your oven) or until a toothpick comes out clean. Don’t overbake this cake!
Make a simple glaze
Into a small mixing bowl, add the powder sugar, milk, and vanilla. Mix with a spoon until the mixture is well combined and until the glaze is smooth and silky.
Top the cake with as much glaze as you would like, and serve warm next to a cup of coffee or hot tea. Enjoy!
- Use room temperature ingredients. It is important that you use room-temperature ingredients like eggs and butter. This step ensures that your mixture mixes into a homogenous mixture and bakes perfectly. you don’t want to place cold batter into the oven.
- Measure your flour correctly! When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour with a spoon to create as many air pockets as possible, and spoon it into your measuring cup. Finally, level it with a back of a knife.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have a moist cake and not a dense and dry cake.
- Butter your pan with butter and sprinkle flour to prevent sticking. This step helps the cake to bake evenly, and it makes sure that your cake will release easily from the pan.
- Make sure that your butter is at room temperature. An hour or two before making this cake, take the butter out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature. The butter should be soft to the touch. If your butter is too cold, it will be harder to mix and there will be lumps of butter in your mixture.
- Be patient! I know it’s extremely tempting to eat this cake as soon as it's ready. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature before eating the cake. This step prevents the cake to fall apart.
This cake will last up to 3 days at room temperature or up to 5 days in the fridge. Cover the cake with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out.
We use all-purpose flour for this cake. Cake flour will work great as well.
Use your favorite kind of apples! We like using granny smith apples, but any apple kind will work. If you like sweet apples, use Honeycrisp, or pink lady.
It’s okay to store this cake at room temperature. Make sure that you store this cake in an airtight container so it won’t dry out.
This cake is very easy to freeze. After baking, let the cake cool to room temperature, transfer it into a freezer-friendly Ziploc bag, or wrap it tightly with a plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw: place the cake in the refrigerator overnight or place it a room temperature for a few hours.
Dairy-free - If you are dairy-free, replace the butter with vegan butter or plant-based butter. Do not use margarine. It will change the flavor of this cake and leave a weird taste. Also, replace the buttermilk with vegan buttermilk or plant-based milk.
Gluten-free - if you want to make this recipe gluten-free, simply replace the flour with gluten-free flour.
Nuts- add your favorite nuts to the cake batter. We love adding chopped pecans and walnuts.
More apple recipes
Apple fritters- These apple fritters are made with fresh apples, topped with a simple glaze. This recipe takes 30 minutes to make with no yeast or rising time, and it tastes like apple donuts!
Apple upside down cake- This apple upside down cake features an incredibly moist cake that is loaded with cinnamon and nutmeg, topped with a caramelized apple topping. This cake is simply irresistible.
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this recipe
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
Best Apple Crumble Cake
- 115 g Butter melted
- ¾ cup Granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Brown sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 3 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 ½ cups Flour
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups Apples peeled and chopped
- 1 cup Flour
- ⅓ cup Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ Kosher salt
- 90 g Butter melted
- 1 cup Powder sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon Milk
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 (350f) and prep an 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a big mixing bowl, add the room temperature butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and kosher salt, and mix with an electric hand mixer until it's creamy.
- Add the eggs, greek yogurt, and vegetable oil. Mix until well combined.
- Add the flour, and baking powder, and mix until almost combined.
- Add the buttermilk and mix until almost combined.
- Add the chopped and peeled apples and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a parchment paper-lined baking pan and smooth it out with a spatula.
Make the streusel topping:
- Into a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Mix with a spoon until the mixture is well combined.
- Top the cake with the streusel topping and press the streusel topping onto the cake batter so it sticks and does not fall off while baking.
- Bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 45-50 minutes (depending on your oven) or until a toothpick comes out clean. Don’t overbake this cake!
Make a simple glaze:
- Into a small mixing bowl, add the powder sugar, milk, and vanilla. Mix with a spoon until the mixture is well combined and until the glaze is smooth and silky.
- Top the cake with as much glaze as you would like, and serve warm next to a cup of coffee or hot tea. Enjoy!