Chocolate salami is an incredibly easy and delicious dessert made with only 5 ingredients, is perfect for gifting during the holiday season and there's no need for an oven! Our favorite part about this recipe is that its no-bake!
If you like chocolate recipes as we do, you should check out our double chocolate banana bread, chewy and fudgy brownies, best ever chocolate cake, chewy double chocolate cookies, and our easy chocolate cupcakes!
Why this recipe works
- Extremely easy to make.
- Made with only 5 simple ingredients.
- Perfect to make when you need a simple dessert to impress.
- The perfect dessert for Christmas or for any occasion.
- A no-bake dessert that tastes amazing.
- Comes together in under 30 minutes.
- Awsome because there is no baking involved.
- Incredibly chocolaty and melt in your mouth delicious.
What is chocolate salami?
Chocolate salami is an Italian and Portuguese dessert that is usually made with vanilla crackers, cocoa, melted butter, melted chocolate, nuts, liquid like milk or cream, and sometimes is made with alcohol like rum or port wine.
There are many variations for this simple dessert, some like to top it with powder sugar, some like to keep it plain, and some like adding some flavors and different add-ins.
We like to keep it simple and use the staple ingredients for this recipe which are vanilla crackers, butter, melted chocolate, nuts, and milk. We also like to sprinkle the top with powder sugar for an extra festive look.
Before you start to make this recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Butter- use unsalted butter for this recipe. Only butter will work for this recipe, no margarine, and no coconut oil. Margarine has a weird taste and can ruin the flavor of these delicious cookies.
Chocolate- use the best quality semisweet or dark chocolate bars for the best flavor. using the best quality dark chocolate is very important in this recipe. The chocolate is what gives this hot chocolate the flavor so it’s very important to use high-quality dark chocolate.
Milk- we used whole milk in this recipe, but you can feel free to use your favorite type of milk.
Nuts- we used walnuts in this recipe but you can make this recipe with any toasted nuts that you like most like hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios, etc. we highly recommend toasting the nuts before putting them into the chocolate mixture.
Powder sugar (for coating, optional)- you will need powder sugar for this recipe. you don’t have to buy powder sugar, you can simply make it at home by blending granulated sugar in a blender or food processor.
Step 1: Add the butter and chocolate into a medium heat-proof mixing bowl. Microwave in 30-second bursts until the mixture is melted.
Step 2: Place the vanilla biscuits and the walnuts (or any nuts that you would like to use) into a ziplock bag and smash them into small pieces with glass, a rolling pin, or what works.
Step 3: Into a big mixing bowl, add the smashed biscuits and walnuts, and add the melted chocolate mixture. Add the milk and mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture is well combined. take your time mixing the batter.
Step 4: Onto a flat clean surface, place a large sheet of parchment paper or plastic wrap, and place the chocolate mixture on top.
Step 5: Shape the mixture into a log using your clean hands or a wooden spoon, and tightly roll out the paper or plastic into a roll. (as seen in the video)
Step 6: Carefully place the salami log into the fridge to set for at least 5 hours. we let it chill overnight but it's not a must.
Step 7: Remove from the fridge and release the salami from the wrap. We like topping the salami with plenty of powder sugar for a festive look. Slice and serve!
- Add some of your favorite add-ins! Make this recipe your own and add your favorite add-ins: chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, chocolate chunks, M&M, caramel sauce, white chocolate, kinder, toffee, and more! Be creative!
- Make sure you line your baking pan with parchment paper to prevent the oreo balls to stick to the pan.
- If you are keeping this recipe simple, add your favorite nuts like hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios, etc. we highly recommend toasting the nuts before putting them into the salami.
- Keep the salami chilled in the fridge before serving. if you place the chocolate salami at room temperature, the chocolate may melt.
This salami will last up to 5 days stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Cover the chocolate salami with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out.
Serve this salami with powder sugar on top with a cup of hot coffee or tea on the side.
Yes! You can use any kind of your favorite nuts in this recipe. Feel free to switch out the nuts for what you have available or for what you like best!
You can freeze this salami in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months, some people find the cake tastes better after freezing it.
Our tip is not to freeze it decorated with powder sugar because it can ruin the decorating of the salami, we suggest freezing the salami and decorating it when you defrost it.
When ready to thaw, place the cake at room temperature for a few hours or overnight in the fridge.
Add in ideas
If you want to spice up your salami, there are many ways to do so. here are a few add-in ideas for this dessert:
- Chocolate chips
- White chocolate
More chocolate recipes:
Small chocolate cake- This small chocolate cake is perfect when you're craving a chocolate cake but don't want to make a big chocolate cake. We made this chocolate cake in an 8x8 inch baking pan.
Triple chocolate brownie mousse cake- This triple chocolate brownie mousse cake is made with a brownie bottom, topped with a creamy eggless chocolate mousse, and topped with silky chocolate ganache.
Double chocolate banana bread- This double chocolate banana bread is filled and topped with chocolate chips, extra moist, and melt in your mouth delicious.
Best ever chocolate cake- This decadent chocolate cake is made by making two simple cake layers with the easiest and most chocolaty chocolate frosting. This chocolate cake is a moist, fluffy, and rich chocolate cake that is not too sweet.
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
- 60 g Butter
- 200 g Semisweet chocolate
- 200 g Vanilla biscuits
- ½ cup Chopped walnuts
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 tablespoon Powder sugar for coating
- Add the butter and chocolate into a medium heat-proof mixing bowl. Microwave in 30-second bursts until the mixture is melted.
- Place the vanilla biscuits and the walnuts (or any nuts that you would like to use) into a ziplock bag and smash them into small pieces with glass, a rolling pin, or what works.
- Into a big mixing bowl, add the smashed biscuits and walnuts, and add the melted chocolate mixture. Add the milk and mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture is well combined. take your time mixing the batter.
- Onto a flat clean surface, place a large sheet of parchment paper or plastic wrap, and place the chocolate salami mixture on top.
- Shape the mixture into a log using your clean hands or a wooden spoon, and tightly roll out the paper or plastic into a roll. (as seen in the video)
- Carefully place the salami log into the fridge to set for at least 5 hours. we let it chill overnight but it’s not a must.
- Remove from the fridge and release the chocolate salami from the wrap. We like topping the chocolate salami with plenty of powder sugar for a festive look. Slice and serve!