These Nutella swirl banana muffins are made with a deliciously moist and fluffy banana muffin batter, topped with Nutella swirls, and baked to perfection.
Nutella banana muffins are simply amazing, they stay fresh for 4 days and they remind me of pancakes filled with Nutella!
These muffins are my new favorite muffins to make. First thing first, they have Nutella in them, which is already delish, but they are also super moist and fluffy and the banana and Nutella taste amazing together.
Why this recipe works
- Extremely easy to make.
- An extra moist banana muffin that stays moist for 3 days!
- Made with simple ingredients.
- Perfect to make when you need a quick breakfast.
- Made in under an hour from start to finish.
- Is topped with Nutella swirls!
Before you start to make this recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Ripe bananas- Use only ripe bananas for this recipe! ripe bananas are more sweet, moist, and easy to mash into a pudding consistency. If you don’t have ripe bananas, bake regular bananas in a 200c (400f) preheated oven for 10 minutes, this will soften the bananas and make them into a ripe banana texture.
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Melted butter- melt your butter either on the stovetop or in the microwave in 20-second bursts. cool your melted butter to room temperature.
Granulated sugar- you will need granulated sugar for this recipe. if you want to replace the granulated sugar with caster sugar or brown sugar, it's okay!
Nutella- you will need 1 ½ cups of Nutella for this recipe. We like using Nutella for this recipe, but if you don’t like Nutella or are allergic to one of the ingredients, you can use any kind of chocolate hazelnut spread.
Eggs- you will need 3 large eggs for this recipe. Make sure that your eggs are at room temperature.
Vanilla extract- adds extra flavor.
Salt- you will need kosher salt for this recipe.
How to ripen bananas fast?
If you want to make these muffins, but you don’t have ripe bananas on hand, don’t worry!
Bake regular bananas in a 200c (400f) preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, this will soften the bananas and make them into a ripe banana texture. OR bake the bananas unpeeled a 150c (300f) for about 10 minutes.
Step 1: Preheat an oven to 180c (350f) and prep a muffin pan with paper liners.
Step 2: Into a big mixing bowl, add the ripe bananas and mash them into a pudding-like consistency with a fork or a potato masher.
Step 5: Scoop the batter with a large ice cream scooper into the muffin tins.
Step 6: Add 1 teaspoon (or more) of Nutella on top of the banana muffins and make swirls with a toothpick or a knife.
Step 7: Bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Don’t overbake these muffins! Let the muffins cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Use room temperature ingredients. It is important that you use room-temperature ingredients like eggs and melted butter. This step ensures that your mixture mixes into a homogenous mixture and bakes perfectly. you don’t want to place cold batter into the oven.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have moist banana muffins and not dense and dry banana bread.
- Mesure you flour correctly! When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour with a spoon to create as many air pockets as possible, and spoon it into your measuring cup. Finally, level it with a back of a knife.
- Use only ripe bananas for this recipe! ripe bananas are more sweet, moist, and easy to mash into a pudding consistency. If you don’t have ripe bananas, bake regular bananas in a 200c (400f) preheated oven for 10 minutes, this will soften the bananas and make them into a ripe banana texture.
- Add some of your favorite add-ins! Make this recipe your own and add your favorite muffins add-ins: chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, chocolate chunks, banana slices, chopped fruit, and more! Be creative!
- Be patient! I know it’s extremely tempting to eat these banana muffins as it is pulled out of the oven, but let the loaf cool for at least 20 minutes so it will be more firm and won’t crumble up. This banana bread is extra moist and melt in your mouth delicious, so it will be worth it to wait these 20 minutes.
These muffins will last up to 3 days at room temperature or up to 4 days stored in the fridge. Cover the muffins with plastic wrap or foil to prevent them from drying. These muffins taste amazing for 3 days!
Yes! you can definitely add chocolate chips to these muffins. Simply add ¾ cup of semisweet chocolate chips to the mixture and fold until just combined.
It’s okay to store these muffins at room temperature. Make sure that you store them in an airtight container so they won’t dry out.
There are a few substitutions that may be helpful for your diet:
- Gluten-free - if you want to make this recipe gluten-free, simply replace the flour with gluten-free flour.
- Dairy-free- you can make this dairy-free by replacing the butter with vegan butter and the Nutella with vegan Nutella or chocolate hazelnut spread.
Topping- one of our favorite way to spice up these muffins, is to make a crumble topping. You can use your favorite recipe for crumble topping for these!
Chocolate chips- add mini chocolate chips to the batter for a delicious chocolate flavor.
Spread- replace the Nutella with your favorite chocolate spread, peanut butter, biscoff butter, or hazelnut spread!
Freeze these muffins after they cooled completely in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months.
We like to serve these muffins as is with our morning coffee or tea on the side. There are many ways to upgrade your banana bread:
- Toppings- these muffins can be topped with crumble topping (or streusel topping), cream cheese frosting, cinnamon buttercream frosting, or maple cream cheese frosting. Use your favorite toppings that you like to make the most!
- Spread- spread a slice of this banana bread with peanut butter, almond butter, pecan butter, or even pumpkin butter!
- Add-ins- make this recipe your own and add your favorite add-ins: chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, chocolate chunks, banana slices, chopped fruit, etc.
- Mixing bowls- best glass mixing bowls.
- Whisk set- our favorite copper whisk set.
- Muffin tins- our favorite Wilton muffin tins.
More muffins recipes:
Coffee cake muffins- These coffee cake muffins are moist, flavorful, and topped with decadent streusel topping.
Double chocolate muffins- These double chocolate muffins are better than bakery chocolate muffins and stay fresh for 3 days!
Pumpkin muffins- This is the best pumpkin muffins recipe ever. I’m not exaggerating. These pumpkin muffins stay moist for days, and they have the best balance of flavors and sweetness.
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked the recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
Nutella Banana Muffins
- 1 ½ cups Mashed bananas
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 Eggs
- 150 g Butter melted
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 12 teaspoon Nutella
- Preheat an oven to 180c (350f) and prep a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Into a big mixing bowl, add the ripe bananas and mash them into a pudding-like consistency with a fork or a potato masher.
- Add the melted butter, eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, salt, and Mix with a whisk until the mixture is well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda, and mix until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter!
- Scoop the batter with a large ice cream scooper into the muffin tins.
- Add 1 teaspoon (or more) of Nutella on top of the banana muffins and make swirls with a toothpick or a knife.
- Bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Don’t overbake these muffins! Let the muffins cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.