These easy coffee cake muffins are moist, and flavorful, and are topped with decadent streusel topping. These muffins are just like the ones you would get in a bakery, but you can make them at home!
These muffins are inspired by a classic coffee cake but in muffin form! It is made with a buttery and cinnamony vanilla muffin base, has a cinnamon layer in the middle of the muffin, is topped with a crumble topping, and is finally topped with an easy glaze.
For more delicious muffins, try out our bakery style chocolate chip muffins, healthy breakfast muffins, moist banana mini muffins, pistachio muffins, vanilla muffins, Nutella swirl banana muffins, banana bakery-style muffins, pumpkin muffins, and our moist double chocolate muffins.
What are coffee cake muffins?
Coffee cake muffins are a mini version of your favorite coffee cake! These muffins are made with a moist and flavorful muffin batter, topped with a layer of cinnamon sugar, topped with more muffin batter, and topped with delicious cinnamon-spiced streusel toppings.
Why this recipe works
- Texture- These muffins have a light and fluffy texture! They are incredibly soft and moist.
- No mixer needed- They are made without an electric mixer. All you will need is a whisk and a bowl!
- Muffin top- These muffins have a perfect domed top that makes them perfect!
- Flavor- The flavor of these muffins is buttery, cinnamony, warm, sweet, and just delicious.
- Crumb topping- These muffins are topped with a cinnamony and delicious buttery streusel topping.
- Time- These muffins take under an hour from start to finish!
Before you start to make this recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Full measurements are in the recipe card below.
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Greek yogurt- get your Greek yogurt to room temperature. Any percent of fat will work for this recipe.
Melted butter- use unsalted butter for this recipe. melt your butter in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Buttermilk- we make our homemade buttermilk (1 cup of milk plus 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar).
Sugar- we used granulated sugar for this recipe. You can use caster sugar as well.
Brown sugar- adds a nice texture to the muffins.
Eggs- you will need 2 large eggs for this recipe. Make sure that you use room-temperature eggs in this recipe.
Vanilla extract- adds extra flavor.
For the cinnamon sugar
Preheat an oven to 180c (350f) and prep a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix with a whisk until just combined. Don't overmix the batter!
Top the muffins with about 1 tablespoon of the streusel topping and press the streusel topping onto the muffin batter so it sticks and does not fall off while baking.
Bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Don’t overbake these muffins! Let the muffins cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Make a simple glaze
In a small mixing bowl, add the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Mix with a spoon until the mixture is well combined and until the glaze is smooth and silky.
Top each muffin with as much glaze as you would like, and serve warm next to a cup of coffee or hot tea. Enjoy!
- Use room temperature ingredients. It is important that you use room-temperature ingredients like eggs and milk. This step ensures that your mixture mixes into a homogenous mixture and bakes perfectly. you don’t want to place cold batter into the oven.
- Use a muffin scoop to portion out the muffin batter evenly. You can also use a large cookie scoop if that's what you have on hand.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have moist muffins and not dense and dry muffins
- Measure your flour correctly! When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour with a spoon to create as many air pockets as possible, and spoon it into your measuring cup. Finally, level it with a back of a knife.
- Push the streusel topping onto the muffins lightly so they would stick to the muffin top while baking and not fall off.
- Be patient! I know it’s extremely tempting to eat these muffins as they are pulled out of the oven, but let these muffins cool for at least 15 minutes so they will be firmer and won’t crumble up.
Yes! These muffins taste great with chopped toasted walnuts or pecans. You can add any of your favorite add-ins.
These muffins will last up to one week in the fridge. Cover the muffins with plastic wrap or foil to prevent them from drying out. These muffins taste amazing for 3 days!
We use all-purpose flour for these muffins. Self-rising flour and cake flour will work great as well.
A classic crumb cake is called coffee cake since it is the perfect cake to eat with your coffee.
It’s okay to store these muffins at room temperature. Make sure that you store the muffins in an airtight container so they won’t dry out.
Freeze these muffins after they cooled completely in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months, some people find the muffins taste better after freezing them.
To thaw, place them in the fridge overnight or at room temperature for a few hours. Reheat them in the microwave or in the toaster oven.
Gluten-free - if you want to make this recipe gluten-free, simply replace the flour with gluten-free flour.
Dairy-free- you can make these muffins dairy-free by replacing the butter with vegan butter and the buttermilk with vegan milk or buttermilk, and the yogurt with vegan yogurt.
Toppings- these muffins can be topped with a simple glaze that we love to make. You can also make a cream cheese glaze or a maple glaze! Use your favorite toppings that you like to make the most!
Add-ins- make this recipe your own and add your favorite muffins add-ins: chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, chocolate chunks, banana slices, chopped fruit, etc.
More muffin recipes
Nutella swirl banana muffins- Nutella swirl muffins are simply amazing, they stay fresh for 4 days and they remind me of pancakes filled with Nutella!
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this recipe
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
Easy Coffee Cake Muffins
- 2 ½ cups Flour
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- ½ cup Brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 115 g Butter melted
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup Buttermilk
For the cinnamon sugar:
- ⅓ cup Granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¾ cup Flour
- ¼ cup Granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 60 g Butter melted
- 1 cup Powder sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon Milk
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat an oven to 180c (350f) and prep a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Into a big mixing bowl, add the sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, greek yogurt, buttermilk, kosher salt, and cooled melted butter. Mix with a whisk until the mixture is well combined.
- Into a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda, and mix until just combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix with a whisk until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter!
- Make the cinnamon sugar: mix cinnamon and sugar in a small mixing bowl until well combined.
Make the streusel topping:
- Into a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Mix with a spoon until the mixture is well combined.
- Scoop the batter halfway through with an ice cream scooper, and top with about 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar. Scoop the second half of the mixture onto the cinnamon sugar topping.
- Top the muffins with about 1 tablespoon of the streusel topping and press the streusel topping onto the muffin batter so it sticks and does not fall off while baking.
- Bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Don’t overbake these muffins! Let the muffins cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Make a simple glaze:
- Into a small mixing bowl, add the powder sugar, milk, and vanilla. Mix with a spoon until the mixture is well combined and until the glaze is smooth and silky.
- Top each muffin with as much glaze that you would like, and serve warm next to a cup of coffee or hot tea. Enjoy!