This is the best ever chocolate cake ever. I’ve been searching for the best one bowl chocolate cake recipe for so long and found it and can’t wait to share it with you!
This decadent chocolate cake is made by making two simple cake layers with the easiest and most chocolaty chocolate frosting. This cake is the moistest, fluffy, and rich chocolate cake that is not too sweet.
Watch our video for how to make the best ever chocolate cake:
Tools to make this recipe:
Cake strips– to make perfect baked cakes with even tops.
8-inch cake pans- to bake the cakes in.
Mixing bowls- best glass mixing bowls.
Whisk set- our favorite copper whisk set.
What you will need for this recipe:
For the cake:
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Dutch cocoa powder– we like to use Dutch-process cocoa powder for our chocolate cake because we like the deep and rich chocolate taste, but the natural cocoa powder will work great as well!
Baking powder and baking soda – to help the cake rise.
Granulated sugar– we like to use granulated sugar, also it the most common sugar used in baking. Caster sugar will work great as well.
Vegetable oil – we used vegetable oil for this recipe. canola oil will work great for this recipe.
Eggs– To give the cake a good structure. Make sure you’re using room-temperature eggs.
Buttermilk– gives the cake extra moisture. You can make your own buttermilk if you don’t have one on hand. Simply mix a cup of milk with a tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
Hot coffee– make a strong hot coffee, you can use espresso, or instant coffee, both will work.
Vanilla extract– Vanilla extract Is an essential ingredient for chocolate cake.
Salt– We used kosher salt for this recipe. Salt doesn’t give the cake a salty taste, it helps to enhance the chocolate flavor.
For the chocolate frosting:
Butter- make sure you are using room temperate butter.
Powder sugar- known as confessional sugar. For a smoother buttercream, sift it before adding to the butter.
Cocoa powder- we used Dutch cocoa powder. You can use natural cocoa powder as well.
Dark chocolate- melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or on the stovetop (bain-marie) and let it cool completely so it won’t melt the butter.
How to make even cake layers:
Our biggest tip to make even cake layers is to use a scale and cake strips. Weigh the chocolate cake batter and divide it into two even pans. Then use cake strips to make sure your cake layers bake evenly and don’t develop a dome on top. Cake strips give you an evenly baked cake with a flat top.
How to make the best chocolate cake ever:
For the cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 (350f) and prep two 8-inch baking pans with parchment paper.
2. Into a big bowl, add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well with a whisk until combined.
3. Add the eggs, oil, vanilla extract, and buttermilk. Mix well until combined.
4. Add the kosher salt and the hot coffee, mix well until the batter is smooth.
5. Divide the mixture into two 8-inch baking pans, we suggest using cake strips for even baking. (weight the batter for better results) and bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
For the chocolate frosting:
1. Make the chocolate frosting: into a large bowl add room temperature butter and mix with a hand mixer or a stand mixer until the butter is light and fluffy.
2. Add half of the powder sugar and the cocoa powder and carefully mix until combined.
3. Add the other half of the powder sugar and mix until smooth.
4. Melt dark chocolate or semisweet chocolate and let it cool completely to room temperature.
5. Add the melted chocolate to the mixture and mix until well combined and smooth.
For the assembly:
1. Pipe a small dollop of the frosting on the surface that you will frost on. Lay the first cake layer over the frosting dot.
2. Pipe 1/3 of the frosting on top of the cake layer and spread an even layer.
3. Top with the second cake layer and frost the cake.
4. For decoration, smooth the sides of the cake (it shouldn’t look perfect) and make wave motions on the top of the cake for a rustic look.
Tips to perfect this recipe:
- Don’t skip the coffee in the cake, you can’t taste the coffee, it simply enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Don’t overmix the batter, mix the batter until just combined, you don’t want the cake batter to develop gluten from the flour.
- Use cake strips! Cake strips give you even and perfectly baked cake layers. Click here for the amazon link.
- Make sure you use room temperature butter for the chocolate frosting. This step is a must to get a smooth chocolate frosting.
- Cool the melted chocolate before adding it to the chocolate frosting! This step is a must, if the melted chocolate will be hot, it will melt the butter and the chocolate frosting will be ruined.
Frequently asked questions:
Can you taste the coffee of the cake?
No! you can’t taste the coffee. By adding the coffee, simply enhances the chocolate flavor. So, don’t skip the coffee in the cake!
How long will the chocolate cake last?
This chocolate cake will last up to one week in the fridge. Cover the cake with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out. This cake tastes amazing the day after.
Can I freeze the chocolate cake?
Yes, you can freeze this cake after it cooled completely in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months, some people find the cake tastes better after freezing it.
our tip is not to freeze it decorated or covered with frosting, because it can ruin the decorating on the cake, we suggest freezing the cake and decorate it when you defrost it.
If you’re not looking to impress anyone with your decorating skills, it’s absolutely okay to freeze the cake with the frosting on.
How to serve chocolate cake?
Serve this chocolate cake with ice cream on the side or with fresh fruit on top!
Can I make this cake as a sheet cake?
Yes! This cake bakes great as a sheet cake or a cupcake! Make sure you change the baking time.
What flour do you use for this cake?
We use all-purpose flour for this cake, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Can I use natural cocoa powder?
We like to use Dutch prosses cocoa powder, because it gives the cake a deeper rich chocolate taste, and natural cocoa powder will work! It’s just a personal preference.
Can I use my favorite frosting on this cake?
Yes! You can use any kind of your favorite frosting on this cake, this cake is very versatile so you can turn it into whatever you want! You can use chocolate frosting, vanilla frosting, caramel frosting, etc.
Explore more chocolate recipes:
3 ingredient chocolate cake- the easiest way to make a chocolate cake, and it tastes amazing! This 3 ingredient chocolate cake is moist, rich in flavor, and quick.
No-Bake Éclair Cake- a classic dessert that my family has been making for years
3 ingredient chocolate ice cream- This creamy and velvety smooth homemade 3 ingredient chocolate ice cream is extremely easy to make, no need for an ice cream machine, and tastes better than store-bought!
No-Bake Chocolate Biscuit Cake- one of the easiest no-bake recipes, takes only 20 minutes from start to finish, and it tastes incredible!
For the cake:
- For the chocolate frosting:
- Instructions: For the cake:
- For the frosting:
- For the assembly: