This homemade cherry pie is incredible. Our homemade cherry pie is made with a delicious and easy cherry pie filling and the easiest flakey pie crust. This recipe is a family favorite and always gets rave reviews.
This foolproof cherry pie recipe is a crowd-pleaser. We love to make it in the cherry season, which is now! We love making recipes with cherries, like our black forest cake, and cherry smoothie.
Watch our video for how to make the homemade cherry pie:
If you enjoyed this video version of this recipe, please subscribe to OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
What you will need for this recipe:
For the filling:
Cherries- we used dark sweet cherries for this recipe. The other options are using sour cherries, frozen cherries (thawed and drained), or canned cherries (drained).
Sugar– we used granulated sugar for the filling, but caster sugar can work as well.
Lemon juice– helps to balance the sweetness.
Cornstarch– to make the cherry filling thicker.
Vanilla extract- for flavor.
For the pie crust-
Flour- we used all-purpose flour for this recipe.
Salt- use kosher salt for this recipe.
Butter- make sure you are using COLD butter for this recipe. We suggest cutting the butter into cubes and then placing it in the fridge, so it will be very cold when you are ready to use it.
Sugar- we used granulated sugar for this recipe, but caster sugar can work as well.
Ice water- use ice water for this recipe, we want to keep the butter super cold.
Lattice pie crust tutorial:
You will need two pie crusts for a lattice pie crust, one for the top and one for the bottom.
1. Start with rolling out the first dough disk and line the pie pan with it. Make small holes with a fork and fill them out with the pie filling.
2. Take out the second pie dough disk from the fridge and roll it with a rolling pin.
3. Cut the dough with a pizza cutter into even ½ inch strips.
4. Gently place about 5 strips over the pie filling. (see photo)
5. Fold back the second and the fourth strips and place another strip vertically.
6. Fold the strips over the strips and repeat with the rest of the strips.
Our favorite tools for this recipe:
How to make the cherry pie:
1. Start by making the pie dough. You will need two pie doughs for this recipe, one for the top, and one for the bottom. In a food processor, add the flour, sugar, and salt, and mix until combined.
2. Add cold cubed butter and blend until the butter and the flour mixture are combined.
3. Add ice water and mix for 10 seconds. Press the dough between your fingertips and if the dough comes together, it’s ready. If not, add another tbsp of water.
4. Transfer the dough to a clean floured surface and gather the dough into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least an hour.
5. Make the cherry pie filling: In a medium mixing bowl, add the pitted cherries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Mix well with a spoon until well combined.
6. Transfer one of the two pie dough disks onto a clean floured surface and roll with a rolling pin into a circle and transfer it into a pie pan. make little holes with a fork and freeze for 20 minutes.
7. Roll the second pie crust and cut it with a pizza cutter or with a knife into 1/2 inch thick strips.
8. Add the cherry filling to the pie, add small cubes of butter, and create a lattice crust on top of the filling. freeze the pie for 20 minutes to prevent the dough from browning quickly. Preheat an oven to 220c (425f).
9. Mix one egg with a tbsp of milk or cream and brush the top of the pie. Sprinkle brown sugar on top.
10. Bake the pie in a 220c (425f) preheated oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180c (350f) and bake for another 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cherries are bubbling.
Tips for making the best cherry pie:
- Use COLD butter, we suggest cutting the butter into cubes and then placing it in the fridge, so when you are ready to use it, it will be very cold.
- Use fresh cherries. We find making cherry pie with fresh cherries is the best way to make cherry pie. The naturally sweet and tart flavors that the cherries naturally have makes cherry pie irresistible.
- Freeze the unbaked pie for about 20 minutes before baking, this step stops the pie crust from browning too quickly.
- Place the pie in the lower third of the oven to stop the pie from browning too quickly.
- Don’t skip brushing the cherry pie with egg wash. (one egg and a tbsp of milk or cream)
Cherry pie Q&A:
How long does the cherry pie last?
Cherry pie lasts for two days at room temperature or for up to a week stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
What are the best cherries to use for this recipe?
We like using dark sweet cherries for this recipe, but any of your favorite cherry kinds will work great. You can make this pie sour cherry pie by using sour cherries, but we suggest adding more sugar to balance the sour taste.
Can I use frozen cherries for this cherry pie?
Yes! Frozen cherries work great for this recipe. If you are using frozen cherries, make sure you thaw them and drain any excess water.
How to serve cherry pie?
Our favorite way to serve cherry pie is with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. This cherry pie is so good by itself, so you can serve it for a satisfying experience.
Should I use fresh or frozen cherries?
I always prefer using fresh cherries for the best flavor, but if you want to make a cherry pie and it’s not the season, simply use either frozen cherries or canned cherries. (thawed and drained completely)
More dessert recipes:
Best Ever Chocolate Cake- This is the best ever chocolate cake ever. I’ve been searching for the best one bowl chocolate cake recipe for so long and found it and can’t wait to share it with you!
No Bake Éclair Cake- This recipe is made by layering tea biscuits or graham crackers and creamy vanilla pudding, topped with a delicious silky chocolate ganache.
3 ingredient chocolate ice cream- This creamy and velvety smooth homemade 3 ingredient chocolate ice cream is extremely easy to make, no need for an ice cream machine, and tastes better than store-bought!
No Bake Chocolate Biscuit Cake- This no bake chocolate biscuit cake is one of the easiest no-bake recipes, takes only 20 minutes from start to finish, and it tastes incredible! This recipe doesn’t require an oven, but still tastes amazing!
If you liked this homemade almond butter recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
- Cherry filling: