This strawberry crumble cake is made with a one-bowl vanilla cake, topped with slices of fresh strawberries, and topped with a delicious crumble topping.
We love baking with strawberries and fresh fruit, if you like strawberry desserts, you should check out our fresh strawberry sheet cake, mini strawberry pavlova, and our strawberry jam cake.
Why this recipe works
- Extremely easy to make.
- Turns out perfect every time!
- Filled with plenty of strawberries.
- Topped with an incredibly delicious crumble topping.
- Made with simple ingredients.
Before you start to make this recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Eggs- you will need 3 large eggs for this recipe. Make sure that your eggs are at room temperature.
Baking powder– to allow the cake to rise.
Vegetable oil – we used vegetable oil for this recipe. canola oil will work great for this recipe.
Lemon zest- you will need 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon zest for this recipe.
Sour cream- use either sour cream or greek yogurt, both will work great.
Vanilla extract- adds extra flavor.
Sugar- we used granulated sugar for this recipe. You can use caster sugar as well.
Milk- use whole milk or any milk of your choice.
Kosher salt- you will need about ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt for this recipe.
Fresh strawberries- you will need 1 cup of slices of fresh strawberries for this recipe.
For the crumble topping:
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, cake flour will work great as well.
Brown sugar- we used brown sugar for this recipe. You can use granulated sugar as well. we like the caramel flavor the brown sugar adds to the crumble.
Pinch of salt- we used kosher salt.
Melted butter- use unsalted butter for this recipe. melt your butter in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 180c (350f) and prep a parchment paper-lined 8-inch cake pan.
Step 2: In a big mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and lemon zest. Mix with a whisk until combined.
Step 3: Add the eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, sour cream, and milk. Mix with a whisk until just combined. Don't overmix!
Step 4: Pour the cake batter into the cake pan and top it with slices of strawberries.
Strawberry crumble topping:
Step 1: Into a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, salt, and melted butter. Mix with a spoon until the mixture is well combined.
Step 2: Top the cake with the crumble topping and spread it all over the strawberries.
Step 3: Bake the cake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove it from the pan.
- Use room temperature ingredients. It is important that you use room-temperature ingredients like eggs and yogurt. This step ensures that your mixture mixes into a homogenous mixture and bakes perfectly. you don’t want to place cold batter into the oven.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have moist cake and not dense and dry cake.
- Mesure you flour correctly! When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour with a spoon to create as many air pockets as possible, and spoon it into your measuring cup. Finally, level it with a back of a knife.
- Add some of your favorite add-ins! Make this recipe your own and add your favorite muffins add-ins: chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, chocolate chunks, banana slices, chopped fruit, and more! Be creative!
- Be patient! I know it’s extremely tempting to eat this cake as it is pulled out of the oven, but let it cool for at least 15 minutes so it will be more firm and won’t crumble up. This cake is extra moist and melt in your mouth delicious, so it will be worth it to wait these 20 minutes.
Yes! Frozen strawberries work in this cake. Do not thaw the frozen strawberries, simply follow the same instructions as the fresh strawberries.
This cake will last up to 4 days at room temperature or up to one week in the fridge. Cover the cake with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out.
We use all-purpose flour for this cake. Self-rising flour and cake flour will work great as well.
It’s okay to store this cake at room temperature. Make sure that you store this cake in an airtight container so it won’t dry out.
Freeze this cake after it cooled completely in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months, some people find the cake tastes better after freezing it.
To thaw, place it in the fridge overnight or place it at room temperature for 3-4 hours.
You can change this recipe in a few ways. Here are our most popular options:
Dairy-free - If you are dairy-free, replace the butter with vegan butter or plant-based butter. Do not use margarine. It will change the flavor of these cookies and leave a weird taste. Also, replace the milk and sour cream with plant-based milk and sour cream.
Gluten-free - if you want to make this recipe gluten-free, simply replace the flour with gluten-free flour.
Fruit- If you don't like strawberries or are allergic to them, you can simply replace the strawberries with your favorite fruit like raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.
More easy cake recipes:
Strawberry sheet cake- This extra moist and fluffy strawberry sheet cake is made with fresh strawberries and topped with strawberry whipped cream.
Best ever chocolate cake- This is the best ever chocolate cake ever. I’ve been searching for the best one bowl chocolate cake recipe for so long and found it and can’t wait to share it with you!
Moist honey cake- This honey cake is moist, rich in flavor, and full of spices that will make your house smell like autumn. This honey cake is definitely a family favorite.
Easy apple cake- This easy apple cake is going to be your new favorite easy and light cake! This cake is fluffy, light, airy, moist, soft, and delicious.
If you tried this cake recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
Strawberry Crumble Cake
- 2 cups Flour
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 ¼ cups Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- ½ cup Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Lemon zest
- ½ cup Sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 cup Strawberries
For the crumble topping:
- 1 cup Flour
- ⅓ cup Brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 80 g Butter Melted
- Preheat the oven to 180c (350f) and prep a parchment paper-lined 8-inch cake pan.
- In a big mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and lemon zest. Mix with a whisk until combined.
- Add the eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, sour cream, and milk. Mix with a whisk until just combined. Don't overmix!
- Pour the cake batter into the cake pan and top it with slices of strawberries.
Strawberry crumble topping:
- Into a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, salt, and melted butter. Mix with a spoon until the mixture is well combined.
- Top the cake with the crumble topping and spread it all over the strawberries.
- Bake the cake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove it from the pan.
This cake is incredible! Would definitely make it again.
The best cake I've ever had! The crumble topping is so good!