These red velvet cupcakes are fluffy, light, moist, and topped with cream cheese frosting. These bakery-style red velvet cupcakes taste incredible and are every red velvet lover’s dream!
Red velvet cupcakes are actually very easy to make, you will need simple ingredients and some red food coloring!
Watch our video for how to make red velvet cupcakes:
If you enjoyed this video version of this recipe, please subscribe to OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
What do red velvet cupcakes taste like?
Red velvet cupcakes taste like a combination of chocolate and vanilla cupcakes, topped with creamy, slightly tangy cream cheese frosting. Red velvet cupcakes are one of the most popular cupcake flavors ever!
Why this red velvet cupcakes recipe works:
- The whole recipe comes together super quickly.
- These cupcakes are perfectly sized.
- These cupcakes are unbelievably moist and fluffy.
- Topped with creamy cream cheese frosting.
- Made with simple ingredients.
- Stays moist for 3 days!
- Perfect for any occasion like Christmas, valentines day, birthday, family get-togethers.
Red velvet cupcakes ingredients:
For the red velvet cupcakes:
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Cocoa powder- Use natural cocoa powder for this recipe.
Butter- Use room temperature butter.
Baking powder and baking soda – to allow the cake to rise.
Buttermilk- we make our homemade buttermilk (1 cup of milk plus 1 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar).
Granulated sugar– we like to use granulated sugar, also the most common sugar used in baking. Caster sugar will work great as well.
Vegetable oil – we used vegetable oil for this recipe. canola oil will work great for this recipe.
Eggs– To give the cake a good structure. Make sure you’re using room-temperature eggs.
Vanilla extract– Vanilla extract Is an essential ingredient for chocolate cake.
Vinegar- the acid in the vinegar in the cupcake batter will activate the rising factor in the cupcakes and will create fluffy and moist cupcakes.
Salt– We used kosher salt for this recipe. Salt doesn’t give the cake a salty taste, it helps to enhance the chocolate flavor.
Red food coloring- We suggest using gel red food coloring, it’s more vibrant and mixes great with the cupcake batter.
For the cream cheese frosting:
Butter- make sure you are using room temperate butter.
Cream cheese- make sure that you are using whole-fat cream cheese that is at room temperature.
Powder sugar- known as confessional sugar. For a smoother buttercream, sift it before adding to the butter.
Vanilla extract- for extra flavor.
Pinch of salt- to balance the sweetness.
Tools to make this recipe:
Mixing bowls- best glass mixing bowls.
Whisk set- our favorite copper whisk set.
Cupcakes tins- our favorite Wilton cupcake tins.
Open star piping tip- our favorite Wilton piping tip for cupcake decoration.
How to make red velvet cupcakes:
1. Preheat an oven to 180c (350f) and prep a cupcake pan with liners.
2. In a medium-size bowl, add the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt. Mix the dry ingredients with a spoon or a whisk.
3. Set the dry ingredients aside and cream together the butter, sugar, and oil until a smooth mixture forms.
4. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, buttermilk, and vinegar and mix with a whisk until combined.
5. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until almost combined. Add the red food coloring and mix until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter so you won’t get dry and dense cupcakes.
6. Pour the batter 3/4 into the cupcake tins and bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
For the cream cheese frosting:
1. Make the cream cheese frosting: into a large bowl add room temperature butter and mix with a hand mixer or a stand mixer until the butter is light and fluffy.
2. Add the cream cheese and mix until smooth.
3. Add ½ of the powder sugar at a time (you don’t want to be in a powder sugar cloud).
4. Add a pinch of salt, and vanilla extract and mix well until smooth.
5. Transfer the cream cheese frosting into a piping bag with a star tip and frost the cupcakes.
Tips for this recipe:
- Use room temperature ingredients.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have moist cupcakes and not dense and dry cupcakes.
- Use room temperature butter and cream cheese.
- Use full-fat cream cheese, this step makes sure that your frosting is stable.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before adding the frosting.
- Mesure you flour correctly! When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour with a spoon to create as many air pockets as possible, and spoon it into your measuring cup. Finally, level it with a back of a knife.
- Do not overfill the cupcakes liners! don’t fill the cupcake liners with more than 3/4 of the way full. These cupcakes will puff up and expand. It doesn’t seem like much but it truly puffs up beautifully.
- Use red GEL food coloring. Gel food coloring mixes the best in cake batters, plus, it’s super vibrant and pigmented!
- Double or triple the batter for more cupcakes! this cupcakes recipe makes 12 red velvet cupcakes. So double or tripe the batter for more cupcakes!
Frequently asked questions:
How to store these red velvet cupcakes?
The cream cheese frosting needs to be refrigerated because it contains cream cheese and butter. If your cupcakes aren’t frosted, it’s okay to store the cupcakes at room temperature. Make sure that you store the cupcakes in an airtight container so they won’t dry out.
How long will the red velvet cupcakes last?
These red velvet cupcakes will last up to one week in the fridge. Cover the cake with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out. This cupcake tastes amazing the day after.
Can I freeze the red velvet cupcakes?
Yes, you can freeze these red velvet cupcakes after they cooled completely in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months, some people find the cupcake tastes better after freezing it.
our tip is not to freeze it decorated or covered with frosting, because it can ruin the decorating on the cupcake, we suggest freezing the cupcake and decorate it when you defrost it.
If you’re not looking to impress anyone with your decorating skills, it’s absolutely okay to freeze the cupcake with the frosting on.
How to serve red velvet cupcakes?
We like to serve the red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting on top.
Can I make these red velvet cupcakes as sheet cake?
Yes! These cupcakes bake great as a sheet cake or a cupcake! Make sure you change the baking time.
What flour do you use for these cupcakes?
We use all-purpose flour for these cupcakes. Self-rising flour and cake flour will work great as well.
What frosting can I use instead of cream cheese frosting?
If you don’t like cream cheese frosting, you can use vanilla buttercream or chocolate buttercream.
More cupcakes recipes:
Pumpkin Cupcakes- These pumpkin cupcakes are packed with pumpkin flavor and fall spices. These cupcakes are a must-try for fall!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes- These carrot cake cupcakes are moist, soft, perfectly spiced, and every carrot cake and fall lover’s dream. These carrot cake cupcakes are made with grated carrots, brown sugar, fall spices, topped with a creamy cream cheese frosting.If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- Instructions: How to make red velvet cupcakes:
- For the cream cheese frosting: