This chocolate chip banana bread is extra moist banana bread that is made with brown butter, greek yogurt, and plenty of mashed bananas making this banana bread super moist, flavorful, and fluffy.
My family loves banana bread, but this banana bread is an obvious winner of all banana bread. This banana bread is absolutely delicious, moist, nutty, and super soft. My mom says that this is the best banana bread she had ever had.
If you like baking banana bread as much as we do, you should check out our double chocolate banana bread, biscoff banana bread, almond flour banana bread, and our tahini banana bread!
Why this recipe works
- Extremely easy to make.
- Made with browned butter that gives this banana bread a nutty flavor.
- An extra moist banana bread that stays moist for 3 days!
- Made with simple ingredients.
- Perfect to make when you need a quick breakfast.
- Made in under an hour from start to finish.
- Don’t require an electric hand mixer, all you will need is a whisk.
What is brown butter?
Brown butter is a classic French sauce that is used in French cuisine and baking. Browning butter is melted butter that is browned on the stovetop.
Browning butter is a chemical process of melting the butter, letting it sizzle, foam up, and cook up to a delicious nutty brown butter sauce that is an amazing addition to baking.
Before you start to make this one bowl banana bread recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Baking soda – to allow the banana bread to rise. 1 teaspoon baking soda is what you will need for this recipe. Don't replace baking soda with baking powder!
Butter- use unsalted butter for this recipe. Only butter will work for this recipe, no margarine, and no coconut oil. Margarine has a weird taste and can ruin the flavor of this banana bread.
Greek yogurt- get your greek yogurt to room temperature. Any percent of fat will work for this recipe. If you don't have greek yogurt, you can use sour cream instead.
Sugar- we used granulated sugar for this recipe. You can use caster sugar as well.
Cinnamon- using cinnamon is optional, but we love the flavor it gives to this banana bread!
Brown sugar- adds a nice texture and a rich flavor to the banana bread.
Eggs- you will need 2 large eggs for this recipe. Make sure that your eggs are at room temperature.
Vanilla extract- adds extra flavor. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract is what you will need for this recipe.
Kosher salt- you will need about ½ teaspoon of kosher salt for this recipe.
Chocolate chips- you can use any kind of chocolate chips for this banana bread, we like to use either dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, or semisweet chocolate chips.
How to ripen bananas fast?
If you want to make this banana bread, but you don’t have ripe bananas on hand, don’t worry! Bake regular bananas in a 200c (400f) preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, this will soften the bananas and make them into a ripe banana texture.
OR bake the bananas unpeeled a 150c (300f) for about 10 minutes.
Step 1: Start by browning the butter. In a medium-sized saucepan add the butter (which has been at room temperature for 20-30 minutes) and melt on medium heat swirling the saucepan constantly.
Step 2: Once the butter has melted, the butter will start to sizzle up and a layer of foam will cover the entire pan. Once you cant see the butter, remove it from the heat and transfer the brown butter to a big mixing bowl to cool to room temperature.
Step 3: Preheat an oven to 180c (350f) and prep a loaf pan with parchment paper. In a big mixing bowl, add the ripe bananas and mash them into a pudding-like consistency with a fork or a potato masher.
Step 4: Add the brown butter, brown sugar, salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon, greek yogurt, and sugar, and mix with a whisk until the mixture is well combined. Next, the eggs and mix with a whisk until well combined.
Step 5: Finally, add the flour and baking soda and mix until almost combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix until just combined. Pour the batter into a parchment paper-lined loaf pan and top the batter with extra chocolate chips!
Step 6: Bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the banana bread comes out clean.
Step 7: Let the banana bread cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Use room temperature ingredients. It is important that you use room-temperature ingredients like eggs and yogurt. This step ensures that your mixture mixes into a homogenous mixture and bakes perfectly. you don’t want to place cold batter into the oven.
- Don’t overmix the batter, you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour. This step ensures you have moist banana bread and not dense and dry banana bread.
- Mesure you flour correctly! When measuring your flour, avoid scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour with a spoon to create as many air pockets as possible, and spoon it into your measuring cup. Finally, level it with a back of a knife.
- Use only ripe bananas for this recipe! ripe bananas are more sweet, moist, and easy to mash into a pudding consistency. If you don’t have ripe bananas, bake regular bananas in a 200c (400f) preheated oven for 10 minutes, this will soften the bananas and make them into a ripe banana texture.
- Use a light-colored pan when browning the butter, that way you will be able to see the golden specks or the brown butter on the bottom of the pan.
- When browning the butter, keep an eye on the pan at all times. The butter can burn very easily and quickly. So when you brown the butter, mix it constantly, and don’t walk away!
- After your butter has browned, immediately remove it from the heat and pour the brown butter into a heat-safe mixing bowl to cool completely to room temperature. If you will remove the brown butter from the heat and do not pour it into a heat-safe mixing bowl, it will keep cooking and will burn.
- Add some of your favorite add-ins! Make this recipe your own and add your favorite banana bread add-ins: chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, chocolate chunks, banana slices, chopped fruit, and more! Be creative!
- Be patient! I know it’s extremely tempting to eat this banana bread as it is pulled out of the oven, but let the loaf cool for at least 20 minutes so it will be more firm and won’t crumble up. This banana bread is extra moist and melt in your mouth delicious, so it will be worth it to wait these 20 minutes.
Yes! Banana bread tastes great with chopped toasted walnuts or pecans. You can add any of your favorite add-ins.
This banana bread will last up to 4 days at room temperature or up to one week in the fridge. Cover it with plastic wrap or foil to prevent them from drying out.
We use all-purpose flour for this banana bread. Self-rising flour and cake flour will work great as well.
Yes. During the browning process, the butter loses about 20-30% of moisture. The solution for the moisture loss is either adding liquid like milk, or melted butter, or reducing the amount of flour.
It’s okay to store this banana bread at room temperature. Make sure that you store the banana bread in an airtight container so it won’t dry out.
This bread is very easy to freeze. After baking, let the bread cool to room temperature, transfer it into a freezer-friendly Ziploc bag, or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw: place the bread in the refrigerator overnight or place it a room temperature for a few hours.
There are a few substitutions that may be helpful for your diet:
Gluten-free - if you want to make this recipe gluten-free, simply replace the flour with gluten-free flour.
Dairy-free - you can make this cake dairy-free by replacing the butter with vegan butter.
Toppings- this banana bread can be topped with crumble topping (or streusel topping), cream cheese frosting, cinnamon buttercream frosting, or maple cream cheese frosting. Use your favorite toppings that you like to make the most!
Add-ins- make this recipe your own and add your favorite add-ins: chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, mini chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, banana slices, chopped fruit, etc.
More banana bread recipes:
Double chocolate banana bread- This double chocolate banana bread is filled and topped with chocolate chips, extra moist, and melt in your mouth delicious.
Tahini banana bread- This tahini banana bread is moist, fluffy, and filled with tahini that gives this banana bread a delicious nutty flavor.
Healthy almond flour banana bread- This almond flour banana bread is moist, fluffy, gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, paleo made in one bowl, and stays fresh for 3 days!
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
One Bowl Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (brown butter)
- 140 g Butter
- ½ cups Granulated sugar
- ½ cups Brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 Eggs
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ cups Mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ cups Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 ½ cups Flour
- 1 cups Chocolate chip (plus more for the top)
- Start by browning the butter. In a medium-sized saucepan add the butter (which has been at room temperature for 20-30 minutes) and melt in on medium heat swirling the saucepan constantly.
- Once the butter has melted, the butter will start to sizzle up and a layer of foam will cover the entire pan. Once you cant see the butter, remove it from the heat and transfer the brown butter to a big mixing bowl to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat an oven to 180c (350f) and prep a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Into a big mixing bowl, add the ripe bananas and mash them into a pudding-like consistency with a fork or a potato masher.
- Add the brown butter, brown sugar, salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon, greek yogurt, sugar, Mix with a whisk until the mixture is well combined.
- Add the eggs and mix with a whisk until well combined.
- Add the flour and baking soda and mix until almost combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a parchment paper-lined loaf pan and top the batter with extra chocolate chips! Bake in a 180c (350f) preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the banana bread comes out clean.
- Let the chocolate chip banana bread cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Thanks for sharing this recipe. My family and I loved the tender crumb of this loaf. Perhaps our new go to banana bread recipe.
wow! absolutely amazing!! I want a cook book
Ahhh I'm so happy you liked it!
Easy to make and delicious
Wonderful and simple recipe! Yields a delicious, super moist and chocolatey loaf. It's moist even on the third day! I love the subtle taste of cinnamon and most of all the fact that we're only using 1 bowl. Definitely a recipe i'll use again in future! Thank you for sharing! ❤️
This chocolate chip banana bread was delicious! My family ate it all up and my sister said she would never use any other banana bread recipe again. I definitely need to try these other recipes now.
I made it yesterday and I loved it???
I have been using the same banana recipe for years without fail, stumbled upon this because I love anything with browned butter and wow 100/100 this is my new banana bread recipe forever!!
The best chocolate chip banana bread ever!
This banana bread is amazing!!! I usually use another recipe and this time my whole family absolutely loved it they ate it all in one night !!
I'm so glad you liked it! Thank you for your comment!
Plain green yogurt? Or vanilla flavored?
Hi! We used plain greek yogurt.
Blu di Pierri
can i not use greek yogurt? do i have to replace it with something else?
Hi there! you can replace the Greek yogurt with sour cream.