This hot chocolate is the best hot chocolate that I ever had. Our hot chocolate is made with milk, cocoa powder, dark chocolate, vanilla extract, and sugar. This hot chocolate comes together in a few minutes and can be doubled or tripled!
Watch our video for how to make hot chocolate:
If you enjoyed this video version of this hot chocolate recipe, please subscribe to OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Hot chocolate ingredients:
Before you start to make this recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Chocolate- use the best quality semisweet or dark chocolate bars for the best flavor. using the best quality dark chocolate is very important in this recipe. The chocolate is what gives this hot chocolate the flavor so it’s very important to use high-quality dark chocolate.
Milk- you can use your favorite type of milk. It can be whole milk, almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, cashew milk, and more!
Vanilla extract- vanilla extract adds extra flavor to this recipe, and it makes this recipe come together into the perfect hot chocolate.
Powder sugar- we used powder sugar for this recipe, but you can use caster sugar or granulated sugar instead. If you don’t like your hot cocoa extra sweet, simply skip the sugar.
Dutch cocoa powder– we like to use Dutch-process cocoa powder for our hot chocolate because we like the deep and rich chocolate taste, but the natural cocoa powder will work great as well!
How to make hot chocolate:
This recipe comes together fairly quickly, so have all your ingredients measured out and ready.
Place a medium-sized saucepan on the stovetop on medium heat and pour in the milk, vanilla extract, and sugar if desired.
Tips for this recipe:
- Use the best quality semisweet or dark chocolate bars for the best flavor. using the best quality dark chocolate is very important in this recipe. The chocolate is what gives this hot chocolate the flavor so it’s very important to use high-quality dark chocolate.
- Don’t replace the milk with water! or don’t use water in this recipe at all! Using water in hot chocolate can be okay when you make a hot chocolate mix packet.
Frequently asked questions:
What chocolate should I use for this recipe?
Use the best quality semisweet or dark chocolate bars for the best flavor. using the best quality dark chocolate is very important in this recipe. The chocolate is what gives this hot chocolate the flavor so it’s very important to use high-quality dark chocolate. You will need 60%-70% cocoa dark chocolate.
How to serve hot chocolate?
We love serving this hot chocolate with a big addition of homemade whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder. Another way to serve it is with mini marshmallows or marshmallow fluff.
How long does this last?
You can keep this hot chocolate in the fridge for up to 3 days. When you are ready to serve, heat it on the stovetop or In the microwave.
Can I make this recipe dairy-free?
Yes! you can easily make this recipe dairy-free, simply replace the heavy cream with plant-based heavy cream and use plant-based milk like almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk.
Can I double this recipe?
You sure can! this recipe makes 2 cups of hot chocolate. Feel free to double, or triple this recipe If you are serving many people.
Tools in this recipe:
- Mixing bowl (set of 3)
- Whisk Set (pack of 3) to whisk the ingredients together
- Saucepan to brown the butter.
More holiday recipes you may like:
Creme brulee- This creme brulee recipe is made with only 4 ingredients and it’s the best creme brulee that I’ve ever had! Creme brulee is a classic French dessert that is easier to make than it looks and tastes like an expensive dessert!
Nutella tart- This Nutella tart is incredible. Made with an easy hazelnut tart crust, filled with a decadent and creamy Nutella filling, and topped with chopped toasted hazelnuts.
White chocolate cranberry cookies- These white chocolate cranberry cookies are soft, chewy, have crispy edges, and are the perfect cookies for Christmas and the holiday season.
Oreo balls (oreo truffles)- These oreo balls are made with only 3 ingredients! These oreo balls are covered with chocolate and are perfect for Christmas or any other day!
Apple crumble pie- This apple crumble pie is made with a delicious spiced apple pie filling, topped with a decadent flavorful crumble topping, inside a flakey butter pie crust. This apple crumble pie is the perfect fall dessert.
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love love love love hearing from you.
If you liked this recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
Hot Chocolate Recipe With Cocoa Powder
- 2 cup Milk
- ¼ cup Cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- ⅓ cup Dark chocolate
- Mini marshmallows
- This recipe comes together fairly quickly, so have all your ingredients measured out and ready.
- Place a medium-sized saucepan on the stovetop on medium heat and pour in the milk, vanilla extract, and sugar if desired.
- Sift the cocoa powder so there won’t be any lumps in the drink.
- Heat the mixture until it’s slightly bubbling and add the chocolate in. We cut our chocolate into cubes, but you can feel free to chop it as well.
- Mix the mixture constantly with a whisk until it’s creamy and smooth.
- Remove the saucepan from the stovetop and pour the mixture into 2 large glasses or 3 small ones. Top with whipped cream or marshmallows and sprinkle cocoa powder on top for the best experience!