This incredible Nutella cake is made by making three chocolate Nutella cake layers, and Nutella buttercream, topped with chocolate ganache.
This Nutella cake is every Nutella lover’s dream, it is decadent, moist, fluffy, and chocolaty. I adapted this Nutella cake from my beloved chocolate cake recipe. You can’t go wrong with this Nutella cake, like my Nutella cheesecake, and Nutella brownies.
Watch our video for how to make Nutella cake:
If you enjoyed this video version of this recipe, please subscribe to OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
What you will need for this recipe:
For the cake:
Flour– we used all-purpose flour for this recipe, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Dutch cocoa powder– we like to use Dutch-process cocoa powder for our chocolate cake because we like the deep and rich chocolate taste, but the natural cocoa powder will work great as well!
Baking powder and baking soda – to help the cake rise.
Granulated sugar– we like to use granulated sugar, also the most common sugar used in baking. Caster sugar will work great as well.
Vegetable oil – we used vegetable oil for this recipe. canola oil will work great for this recipe.
Nutella- you will need 1 ½ cups of Nutella for this recipe. We like using Nutella for this recipe, but if you don’t like Nutella or allergic to one of the ingredients, you can use any kind of chocolate hazelnut spread.
Eggs– To give the cake a good structure. Make sure you’re using room-temperature eggs.
Buttermilk– gives the cake extra moisture. You can make your own buttermilk if you don’t have one on hand. Simply mix a cup of milk with a tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
Hot coffee– make a strong hot coffee, you can use espresso, or instant coffee, both will work.
Vanilla extract– Vanilla extract Is an essential ingredient for chocolate cake.
Salt– We used kosher salt for this recipe. Salt doesn’t give the cake a salty taste, it helps to enhance the chocolate flavor.
For the Nutella buttercream frosting:
Butter- make sure you are using room temperate butter.
Powder sugar- known as confessional sugar. For a smoother buttercream, sift it before adding to the butter.
Cocoa powder- we used Dutch cocoa powder. You can use natural cocoa powder as well.
Nutella- use Nutella or any other chocolate hazelnut spread.
For the chocolate ganache:
Dark chocolate- use the best quality dark chocolate that you can find.
Heavy cream- you will need 100 g of heavy cream for the chocolate ganache.
How to make even cake layers:
Our biggest tip to make even cake layers is to use a scale and cake strips. Weigh the chocolate cake batter and divide it into two even pans. Then use cake strips to make sure your cake layers bake evenly and don’t develop a dome on top. Cake strips give you an evenly baked cake with a flat top.
How to make Nutella cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 (350f) and prep three 8-inch baking pans with parchment paper.
2. Into a big bowl, add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well with a whisk until combined.
3. Add the eggs, oil, Nutella, vanilla extract, and buttermilk. Mix well until combined.
4. Add the kosher salt and the hot coffee, mix well until the batter is smooth.
5. Divide the mixture into three 8-inch baking pans, we suggest using cake strips for even baking. (weight the batter for better results) and bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
How to make Nutella buttercream:
1. into a large bowl add room temperature butter and mix with a hand mixer or a stand mixer until the butter is light and fluffy.
2. Add half of the powder sugar and the cocoa powder and carefully mix until combined.
3. Add the other half of the powder sugar and mix until smooth.
4. Add the Nutella to the mixture and mix until well combined and smooth.
How to make chocolate ganache:
1. Melt dark chocolate and heavy cream in a small to medium mixing bowl in the microwave for about 50 seconds.
2. Let the chocolate and the cream sit for 10 minutes for the chocolate to melt, then mix until the chocolate ganache is smooth and silky.
For the Nutella cake assembly:
1. Pipe a small dollop of the frosting on the surface that you will frost on. Lay the first cake layer over the frosting dot.
2. Pipe 1/3 of the frosting on top of the cake layer and spread an even layer.
3. Top with the second cake layer and spread another layer of frosting, we like piping the frosting on top of the cake layers, and smooth it out with a straight spatula.
4. Repeat with the third cake layer, and frost the entire cake with a crumb coat. Place the cake in the fridge for 20 minutes, and frost the cake with the rest of the frosting.
How to decorate Nutella cake:
1. For decoration, we made chocolate ganache, once the ganache is cooled slightly and thickened, we made drips all around the edges of the cake (with a piping bag).
2. Once you are happy with the drips, pour more ganache on top of the cake and lightly smooth it out with a small offset spatula.
3. Then I topped the cake with dollops of Nutella frosting around the edges of the cake.
4. Press chopped hazelnuts into the sides of the cake.
Tips to perfect this recipe:
- Don’t skip the coffee in the cake, you can’t taste the coffee, it simply enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Don’t overmix the batter, mix the batter until just combined, you don’t want the cake batter to develop gluten from the flour.
- Use cake strips! Cake strips give you even and perfectly baked cake layers. Click here for the amazon link.
- Make sure you use room temperature butter for the Nutella frosting. This step is a must to get a smooth chocolate frosting.
Frequently asked questions:
Can you taste the coffee in the cake?
No! you can’t taste the coffee. By adding the coffee, simply enhances the chocolate flavor. So, don’t skip the coffee in the cake!
How long will the Nutella cake last?
This Nutella cake will last up to one week in the fridge. Cover the cake with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out. This cake tastes amazing the day after.
Can I freeze the chocolate cake?
Yes, you can freeze this cake after it cooled completely in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months, some people find the cake tastes better after freezing it.
our tip is not to freeze it decorated or covered with frosting, because it can ruin the decorating on the cake, we suggest freezing the cake and decorate it when you defrost it.
If you’re not looking to impress anyone with your decorating skills, it’s absolutely okay to freeze the cake with the frosting on.
How to serve Nutella cake?
Serve this Nutella cake with ice cream on the side or with fresh fruit on top!
Can I make this cake as a sheet cake?
Yes! This cake bakes great as a sheet cake or a cupcake! Make sure you change the baking time.
What flour do you use for this cake?
We use all-purpose flour for this cake, self-rising flour, and cake flour will work great as well.
Can I use natural cocoa powder?
We like to use Dutch prosses cocoa powder because it gives the cake a deeper rich chocolate taste, but the natural cocoa powder will work! It’s just a personal preference.
More Nutella recipes:
No-bake Nutella cheesecake- This no-bake Nutella cheesecake is rich in Nutella flavor, creamy silky smooth with a texture that is melt in your mouth delicious. This no-bake Nutella cheesecake is extremely easy to make and requires simple ingredients.
3 Ingredient Nutella Brownies- Easy 3 ingredient Nutella brownies recipe, the easiest way possible to make brownies, loaded with rich Nutella flavor, takes only 5 minutes to prep.
Nutella stuffed chocolate chips cookies- These Nutella stuffed chocolate chips cookies are just perfect, crispy from the outside, gooey, and chocolaty from the inside. These cookies are perfect for any occasion, parties, holidays, friends get together, or to just eat them by yourself.
Nutella mug cake- This Nutella mug cake is gooey, rich, chocolaty, soft, tender, and dreamy. When you’re in the mood for a decadent dessert, this easy Nutella mug cake comes in handy.
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. We love hearing from you.
If you liked this Nutella cake recipe:
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Share/pin this recipe to Pinterest.
- Leave a comment down below!
- Nutella buttercream frosting
- Chocolate ganache:
- Instructions: How to make Nutella cake:
- How to make Nutella buttercream:
- How to make chocolate ganache:
- For the Nutella cake assembly:
- How to decorate Nutella cake: