These crispy smashed potatoes are a must-try, crispy from the outside and tender from the inside roasted crispy smashed potatoes become our family's favorite potato side dish ever!
These disappear so fast so you’ll have to keep an eye on them!
What are smashed potatoes?
Smashed potatoes are small potatoes that are simmered until soft inside, then smashed with a cup or a potato masher, then, drizzled with the butter, rosemary, and garlic butter and cooked until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Before you start to make this recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Full measurements are in the recipe card below.
Small/ medium potatoes– for this recipe, we like to use mini Yukon Gold potatoes or mini red potatoes but any potato kind will work great for this recipe.
Olive oil- use extra virgin olive oil.
Fresh garlic– we like to use fresh garlic for this recipe.
Spices– we used kosher salt, paprika, garlic powder, dry parsley, onion powder, and chili flakes.
Bring a pot of water to a boil, and add a tablespoon of salt. Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook for about 30 minutes until tender.
Use small potatoes- Choose smaller potatoes rather than large ones, this guarantee you have a crispy exterior. Any potatoes will work for this recipe though.
Use a large baking sheet- To get the perfect crispy from the outside and creamy from the inside, we suggest you use a large baking sheet that keeps the potatoes apart from each other and let each one cook perfectly.
These last up to 5 days in an airtight container placed in the fridge.
Yes, you can boil the potatoes and place them in the fridge, then when ready to bake, follow the same steps of making the spices mixture and baking them.
The best way to serve these potatoes is as a side dish next to your favorite protein. You can also serve it as a snack, or as an appetizer.
If you have leftovers, you can store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat them in the microwave or in the toaster oven (or regular oven) until they are warm and crispy again.
Freeze these smashed potatoes after they cooled completely. Place them in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months.
More potato side dishes
Scalloped potatoes– Thinly sliced potatoes are layered in an easy cream sauce, topped with cheese, and baked to perfection.
Home Fries with Sweet Chili Sauce- This homemade home fries recipe is not a basic home fries dish, these home fries are baked in the oven and thrown in a delicious chili and butter sauce.
Roasted crispy smashed potatoes recipe
- 1.2 kg Potatoes small
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Dry parsley
- ½ teaspoon Chili flakes
- bring a pot of water to a boil, and add a tablespoon of salt.
- add the potatoes into the boiling water and cook for about 30 minutes until tender.
- Drain the water and dry the potatoes. Preheat an oven to 230c (450f).
- Make the spice mixture: In a small mixing bowl add the olive oil, kosher salt, paprika, garlic powder, dry parsley, onion powder, and chili flakes.
- Mix well with a whisk until well combined.
- In a big mixing bowl add the cooked potatoes, and the spice mixture. Mix well until the potatoes are coated with the mixture.
- On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, smash each potato with a cup or a potato smasher gently.
- Brush the remaining spice mixture on the potatoes.
- Bake the potatoes at 230c (450f) for 20 minutes. Flip the potatoes halfway through. Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy from the outside.
Hey! Just wanted to say great website. Keep up the good work!